Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

I presume the BBC are using last year's too as this year's are not on sale yet.

Looking online it seems the leaf has been there for a while, but they didn't have one last time I bought one. In fact they still said 'Haig Fund' in the middle then after General Haig who sent thousands over the top to their deaths.

I have seen them on sale in various places. The poppy I can see right now, not only has the leaf, but 'poppy appeal' written in the middle.

I have seen them on sale in various places. The poppy I can see right now, not only has the leaf, but 'poppy appeal' written in the middle.

It used to say "Haig Fund" but some people objected to that, given Haig's responsibility for the deaths of several hundred thousand of the people it's meant to be commemorating.

From a practical point of view, you run the risk of annoying interfering people wasting your time by complaining that you aren't wearing a poppy. (They have no right to, but it's just possible they might pester you anyway.)

Apart from that, I see no reason at all why your actions are any less commendable than those who buy the poppy and take it with them.

I noticed there's been a mass outbreak of poppy wearing amongst BBC presenters. It's been criticised in the newspapers as too early as they're not actually on sale yet, but that's not the point of this post.

I notice that they have a leaf now. Since when did that happen and is it a new thing for this year? I don't remember them having a leaf before.

It's botanically incorrect as no poppy species has leaves anywhere near the flower. The flower is always isolated on a long stem above any foliage.

There's always a breakout of this condition in the two to three weeks' run up to remembrance day.

You'll find most newscasters and presenters will be wearing them.

It's pretty much compulsory for presenters and newscasters to wear poppies up till remembrance day.

Archived