Remembrance/Armistice Day (11 November)

It used to say "Haig Fund" but some people objected to that, given Haig's responsibility for the deaths of several hundred thousand of the people it's meant to be commemorating.

I could never understand why my grandfather who was a regular soldier and served throughout WW1 scoffed at the remembrance poppy.

Thankyou for explaining the reason.

I could never understand why my grandfather who was a regular soldier and served throughout WW1 scoffed at the remembrance poppy.

Thankyou for explaining the reason.

I was brought up in the same tradition. My father would never wear a poppy because of the association with General Haig.

My grandfather fought in WW1 and my father in WW2.

There's always a breakout of this condition in the two to three weeks' run up to remembrance day.

You'll find most newscasters and presenters will be wearing them.

It's pretty much compulsory for presenters and newscasters to wear poppies up till remembrance day.

There's always one TV presenter who chooses not to wear one and then comes in for a lot of stick about it. I find compulsory poppy wearing worrying. It should be a free choice and not something that is expected of or forced upon anyone.

I remember poppies with leaves in the 1970s. There weren't many available and you were 'expected' to contribute more if you wanted a leaf too!

I often don't buy poppies but always contribute. Until Help for Heroes came along the British Legion was the only way of showing support (that I know of).

I was brought up in the same tradition. My father would never wear a poppy because of the association with General Haig.

My grandfather fought in WW1 and my father in WW2.

Now you mention it my father, also an ex soldier of WW2 wore one and so do I, also an ex regular soldier.

I wondered for years why my grandfather was so against the idea but now everything falls into place.

Archived