Driving License only last 10 years.

Nodens

Hang on a tick - that article claims that the treasury will be quids in with this one

Isn't this going to turn out like the bank charges fiasco, where they're only entitled to charge an admin fee which actually reflects the costs involved, not a profit scheme

The photocard element of licences started to expire last month having been around for ten years.

There will undoubtedly be people around who have moved, not informed the DVLA, not got the reminder (I s'pose they will remind us) so have an expired, therefore, invalid licence and presumably no valid insurance.

Both parts of a licence have to be current to be valid.

There are provisions, I believe, in the Road Safety Act of 2006 that, when implemented, will force/foist 2-part photocard licences on those who still have the old-style paper licences.

My license was issued in 1976 and it states that it is valid until 2018, so the government and the EU can go forth and multiply.

Look at section 4b on the front of the photocard (just above the smaller of the two photos), if you have one, and you will see the expiry date of the card.

On the back of the photocard you have your vehicle category entitlements.

The expiry dates of those are mostly the same as your paper counterpart i.e. the day before your 70th birthday unless you have taken, say, HGV tests that have to be renewed at earlier dates - 45th bithday (with associated medicals) or have a notified medical condition (diabetes etc.)

Hang on a tick - that article claims that the treasury will be quids in with this one

Isn't this going to turn out like the bank charges fiasco, where they're only entitled to charge an admin fee which actually reflects the costs involved, not a profit scheme

Alarmingly the government isn't regulated by the FSA so there isn't any principle of fairness. They are, theoretically, watched over by the National Audit Office, which is supine enough not to matter.

Alarmingly the government isn't regulated by the FSA so there isn't any principle of fairness. They are, theoretically, watched over by the National Audit Office, which is supine enough not to matter.

Well the bank charges thing isn't too much to do with the FSA, it's more to do with contract law, particularly the unfair contract terms parts of it.

This on the other hand is created via legislation, so is presumably not covered under contract law since no contract exists.

Archived