Driving License only last 10 years.

Nodens

The photocard element of licences started to expire last month having been around for ten years.

There will undoubtedly be people around who have moved, not informed the DVLA, not got the reminder (I s'pose they will remind us) so have an expired, therefore, invalid licence and presumably no valid insurance.

Both parts of a licence have to be current to be valid.

There are provisions, I believe, in the Road Safety Act of 2006 that, when implemented, will force/foist 2-part photocard licences on those who still have the old-style paper licences.

It won't affect insurance. :thumbsup: To be honest, most police aren't that bothered about things like wrong addresses on them, so I doubt they'd be bothered by this, as they know the score. They know most people toss their licence in a drawer and forget about it.

It won't affect insurance. :thumbsup: To be honest, most police aren't that bothered about things like wrong addresses on them, so I doubt they'd be bothered by this, as they know the score. They know most people toss their licence in a drawer and forget about it.

That surprises me since it is clear in my mind that both parts have to be current to be valid and I'm sure you need a current, valid licence for insurance cover to apply.

A wrong address, I agree, is unlikely to excite a PC but an invalid licence ... and no insurance ?

Maybe someone on here knows for sure ??

I've still got the old paper one, but I suppose I should have updated it by now - we moved two years ago. Trouble is, i've got a phobia about filling forms in, just can't do it :blush: embarassing to admit it, but anything that requires filling a form in or similar just doesn't get done.

My last one was over 2 years out of date with an incorrect address on it. thankfully it resulted in nothing more than a replacement. :)

somewhat ridiculously, the max. fine for not having the correct address = £1000.00!

anyone know anyone who has ever been fined for this?

the only people ever vaguely bothered about it are DSA examiners, unless you get stopped by Plod, I suppose.

• 2 years later...

My wife and i moved to our current house ten years ago,we both received license renewal notices last week.

We went to the post office and they took photos of us and posted off our licenses.

Total cost was £24.50 each=£49.,not a bad little pick up for the Chancellor.

Oh the joys of motoring.

Archived