One-up-one-down

peterw

My main memory of Court 13 Watery Lane is being in my grandma's kitchen/living room, in her one up one down, in the fifties. While my mother permed the local women's hair, there always seemed to be half a dozen women in the small cramped room along with us three kids, listening to my uncles Frankie Laine, Johnny Ray, and Slim Whitman 78s on the radio gram. Then the cry would go up "lets have Sally". Not the Gracie Fields, Sally, but if memory serves Sally, or Sally In Our Alley or was it Sally From Our Alley was a Salvation Army record. This record was reverently brought out, no larger than a modern CD, I have never seen it's like before or since and had no idea how old it was. It wasn't a song but a temperance/morality play, where Sally the heroine is brutalised by her drunkard of a husband, again if memory serves, Sally gets run over and dies in the arms of her repentant husband, while in the background a Salvation Army band plays Abide With Me. At this point someone would get some settin' lotion in their eye and start wiping away a tear, thus setting off the rest. I can see 'em nah, half a dozen women in curlers and turbans sobbing, then laughing at themselves. I think it was a monthly ritual, a perm and a good rooer.

I remember the hairdressing sessions,Mother was the local Hairdresser and as well as perms they used to dye their hair with Henna which was a brown smelly mud substance thenwrap their hair in brown paper.

The perms used to take about 4 hours some had curling pins and pin curls some had clips which made waves in the hair like tramlines.It was a good excuse for a gossip and getting to know all the local scandal.I think the address was 13 court 10 Watery Lane.

Does anyone know what numbers 5 court and 9 court were ?

What court number was 65 Watery lane was please ?

The Brindleys lived at 9 court until they were demolished.

The Hutchings lived at 5 court in the 1930s.

Any idea who lived at number 65 in the mid 1930s ?

I had a friend in the late 60s who lived in a 1 up, 1 down at Walkley. There were 3 of them, so it wasnt too crowded. Mum and brother slept in the bedroom, my friend had the attic. The downstairs was kitchen, dining and living room all in one. The sink was at the top of the cellar steps. If you needed the loo, you had to go out of the front door, down the street and into the yard, to the toilet at the bottom! No back door and no bathroom. Hard living

:|My grandmothers house was one up one down and a tiny attic.

Living in their house was mother and father four daughters and one son.

mother and father had the bedroom and the children had the attic.

It was in Watery lane near Wentworth street.:wow:

Same here, 3 lads 2 girls Bramber st pitsmoor. their was called back to back house's.

Archived