Wig and pen - separate dining area?

smsm

I'm thinking about taking my father out for dinner at the Wig and Pen tomorrow night. He appreciates good drink and food and has been there before the building work was done. He has a hearing aid though and my boyfriend pointed out that we might struggle to have a conversation if it's loud because of the pub element. I haven't been since they re-opened and was wondering whether anybody knew if there was a separate dining room area which may be quieter than around the bar and how loud it gets on a Saturday evening?

If it's not suitable can anybody recommend another place to take him? He lives in Bradford so it seems silly to take him to an Indian restaurant, he'll eat anything but is fairly inexperienced with Japanese food so I'd prefer to somewhere he'll recognise the food and save Sakushi for another day.

Thanks in advance.

wondering whether anybody knew if there was a separate dining room area which may be quieter than around the bar and how loud it gets on a Saturday evening?

Since it reopened, the Wig & Pen has a completely separate dining room downstairs. You access it from Paradise Square. Haven't been though, so have no idea how loud it might get on a Saturday evening.

Since it reopened, the Wig & Pen has a completely separate dining room downstairs. You access it from Paradise Square. Haven't been though, so have no idea how loud it might get on a Saturday evening.

That's brilliant, thanks. I'm not sure which bit Paradise Square is. To get to the Wig and Pen I'd walk down the side of the cathedral to the Campo Lane entrance. If it's separate I imagine it's no louder than a normal restaurant. I'll try and book tomorrow then.

Well we went, without having booked at about 8.10. There were about 50 seats in the dining area, none of them were taken, no-one but a waiter was there (upstairs was busy enough though). We went in, asked if they had a table for 3 and they said they were fully booked! Now, I would normally book on a Saturday night but I only got the answer to my question at lunch time and thought that with the recent expansion it wouldn't be neccessary. I reckon they either thought we weren't dressed well enough (it is quite swish now and we were in normal day wear) or no-one had turned up or booked so they decided not to bother with service and shut. I don't believe for a second that they could be empty with perfectly laid tables at 8 on a Saturday and be fully booked. Unless they start dinner service really really late!

Instead we went to Zizzi's where the food was great and the service was abysmal. We were told to wait 1/2 hr for our meal so ordered the 'house breads' to keep us going, it was then over an hour since we arrived and others who'd come later had been served so we asked where I food (mains, we'd had the 6 slices of bread between 3 already) was. They said they only put mains through the computer system once starters had been cleared away (and that all restaurants operate this way)! Needless to say, we weren't impressed!

You didn't see the Zizzi thread then, otherwise you'd have gone to Platillos instead.

Went to Platillos last weekend. Was really unimpressed. We were sat outside and half our meal (tapas) never arrived. I wasn't overly impressed with the food anyway, so couldn't be bothered to go in and ask where it was, but may have mentioned it to one of the staff outside if we'd seen one in the 45 mins we were sat there after the first items of food came.

As for Wig and Pen, went there yesterday. I'm no tight-ar*e, but I'm getting quite cheesed off with paying between £3.50 and £4 for a pint of ale. Food was ok tho. Nothing to write home about, but a lot better than my experience at Platillo's. (Are they owned by same person by the way, as I was told?)

Archived