Wig and pen - separate dining area?

smsm

I've never heard anything about them being owned by the same people.

Strange experience at platillos, although I've never sat outside. We've gone with groups between the size of 2 and 30 and never had any food not arrive. Maybe you got a new waitress who wasn't very good.

Strange price for the beer as well, last time I went in it was no more than £2.50 for the beer on tap.

Swordfish - Out of interest? What time did you go to Wig and Pen and did you book?

Cyclone - No I haven't read the Zizzi thread but my sister went the other week and had a good time. If I had wanted Tapas I would've gone to Cubana or stayed at the Wig and Pen or something. I've been to Platillos following some good reviews on here but we were incredibly unimpressed. We had a rubbish waitress who threw tomato sauce covered cutlery at my boyfriends clothes and was clueless about what to do (I asked for a damp cloth and after a long time she brought a dry tissue and asked if I'd like her to wet it). The food was cold and really nothing special.

We ate at the newly refurbished Wig and Pen a few weeks ago and thought it was fantastic. The service was professional and helpful, the food was lovely and the new rooms are very classy, lovely original stone slab floors and panelled walls. Had some lovely cocktails too.

It's my second favourite restaurant after Marco@Milanos. Would definitely recommend.

Strange price for the beer as well, last time I went in it was no more than £2.50 for the beer on tap.

The price of beer was in relation to Wig and Pen, not Platillo's by the way. Should have made myself clear.

In answer to the question from smsm, it was mid afternoon and just tapas. No need to book a table for that thankfully.

I've been a pretty loyal fan of the Wig & Pen since it frist opened a few years ago & have eaten there twice with friends since it had its makeover & extension. Both times the food has been great and the restaurant has been busy, plus I am a scruffy bugger and have never had any issues with staff attitude towards me or friends. SMSM I would be very suprised if they weren't fully booked on a saturday night, if you had a problem with what they told you why didnt you ask?

In response to smsm, I am sorry you could not get a table on the Saturday night, however we were indeed fully booked. We had a party of 20 + which filled one side of the restaurant and then various other bookings from half eight onwards in the other half. It is not uncommon for our bookings to be later, however we do open from 6pm in the restaurant. I can assure you there is no dress code or snobbery and hope to welcome you to our dining room on another occassion.

In response to swordfish1 - I am a little confused. Our ale is priced at about £2.75, varying depending on abv and supplier. We only have one draught product over £3.50 which is Budvar lager at £3.60, with Amstel and Heinekan both being less. I hope this helps.

In response to smsm, I am sorry you could not get a table on the Saturday night, however we were indeed fully booked. We had a party of 20 + which filled one side of the restaurant and then various other bookings from half eight onwards in the other half. It is not uncommon for our bookings to be later, however we do open from 6pm in the restaurant. I can assure you there is no dress code or snobbery and hope to welcome you to our dining room on another occassion.

In response to swordfish1 - I am a little confused. Our ale is priced at about £2.75, varying depending on abv and supplier. We only have one draught product over £3.50 which is Budvar lager at £3.60, with Amstel and Heinekan both being less. I hope this helps.

Thanks for clearing that up. It just seemed very strange for a restaurant to be competely empty at 8pm but also be fully booked so my Dad assumed it was because we weren't dressed up. I look forward to trying out the new dining room, maybe I'll book first though!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived