Red Deer off West Street - Traditional Pub - new menu decor

Rainrescue

Strix - the Guide Dog for the Blind often visit there during the day that I have seen - but I wouldn't think it would be one for too many doggy collections - however there is a lovely beer garden out the back.

slh73 - I bet that was a long time ago that you went in then - this pub has great ale on now - and has attracted a good many real ale drinkers to include it in their circuit.

It was about 3 weeks ago. Out of 4 pints, 2 were bareley drinkable, and one was so bad it went back. Ended up on bottles, cant get them wrong.

I was there on Friday night and I really liked it. It was quite full when we went, mainly 'old men' so the ale cant be that bad. The beer garden was larger than expected and it is heated.

Oh, they drinks are incredibly cheap too.

*old 'men not' neccissarily meaning old, just the regular types who drink in Old Mens Pubs and know their ale*

It was about 3 weeks ago. Out of 4 pints, 2 were bareley drinkable, and one was so bad it went back. Ended up on bottles, cant get them wrong.

I had a horrible cloudy pint in there the other night. So something's not quite right in the cellar dept. I've also had duff pints in the Wig and Pen recently (on each of the last 3 visits) and the Rising Sun (Nether Gn). I do wonder why I bother sometimes.

Dodgy cask ale happens more when the weather's warm I think, maybe cellars are not cold enough? Or sometimes it's just the dregs of the barrel. It doesn't put me off places for good, but it does get a bit annoying having to take pints back.

Archived