Pewitt Café near Owler Bar

In the late 50s the star Beighton Whs rider was Mick Bennett who won 25mile TTs.In 1956 I bought a 24" Baines frame with a very steep seat tube and short rear triangle from him for 5 pounds,the deal being done in Henry Holmes bike shop on London Rd,Sheffield.

Jo (I think) Robottom was in the Sheffield Phoenix,a promising road racer coached by Lol Dodd.She died very early,I think from leukaemia.I met her several times at HH's other shop at Sharrowvale Rd..

I remember stopping at the Pewitt Cafe on my cycling trips out to Derbyshire in the 1950's.

My parents, who were both keen cyclists, were members of the Sheffield Grove Cycling Club in the 1930's. They first met at the Peacock Inn at Owler Bar - under an outdoor shelter at the front of the pub - which no doubt was used by cyclists as a resting place after the long uphill ride from Baslow or Hathersage.

Details of the Grove Club are ellusive; altho' I suspect it was based somewhere off Ecclesall Road, close to where my Dad lived and where there are several roads named 'Grove'.

On 26/2/2009 I posted on SF about the Club and attached a photo of some members, but so far without response. I appreciate most of the people in the photo will by now have departed to the ' great clubhouse in the sky', but it would be interesting to hear from anyone (almost certainly older Forummers)who may have heard of the Grove C C or who recognises anybody in the picture.

Echo

In the late 50s the star Beighton Whs rider was Mick Bennett who won 25mile TTs.In 1956 I bought a 24" Baines frame with a very steep seat tube and short rear triangle from him for 5 pounds,the deal being done in Henry Holmes bike shop on London Rd,Sheffield.

Jo (I think) Robottom was in the Sheffield Phoenix,a promising road racer coached by Lol Dodd.She died very early,I think from leukaemia.I met her several times at HH's other shop at Sharrowvale Rd..

I think it was Christine Rowbottom.....I was fortunate enough to meet both her and Lol Dodd on several occasions

I knew a lot of cyclists back then....quite a few from Rutland CC. and the names have stuck in my mind over the years because of what really nice people they were. I used to love to go to watch the cycle racing in Norfolk Park.

The Norfolk park races were brilliant can,t a local club bring them back,

Archived