The Sheffield Gay Scene

Carborundum

Apparently Sanctury closing for a week or so for refurb of some sort but def opening again soon, which is good news - we need more venues not less in Sheffield.

Gay scene quiet during the week at the moment but busier at the weekend, but that seems the same for the staight scene also.

A refurb already??

must be making some money if they can shut the place for a "week or so" loss of trade etc... can it not be scheduled for the week time so they still get the weekend trade?

also hope its common knowledge as people will think its shut properly otherwise and then you have the problem of loss of business

just found this on Dannybreeze - 5th March

Club Sanctuary is to close for a 10 day period. A spokesman for the St James Street venue says that work is to start on the new bar and dancefloor space on the upper level as well as a number of changes to the main downstairs bar. Sanctuary's last night before the closedown will be Sunday 8th March.

The temporary closure has sparked rumours about the future of the venue although Sanctuary are firmly denying reports of permanent closure. We understand that headline DJ Pete Martine is leaving due to other commitments and that a new management team is to takeover the venue from next week. No date has been set for the reopening.

did anyone on here go 2 onyx rooms last sun??? just wondered what it was like...was it busy...age range...and isit reccomended(as its quite a dear taxi fare 4 me) so thought i would check peoples opinion b4 i went

Air2007, glad that you are asking about what's happening at Onyx Rooms. for the uninitiated, Onyx Rooms (formerly MILANO'S) in Rotherham, has started running the new Gay Night 'SWEET' (Rotherham's first Gay Night in 2 years), with me putting in an appearance as Drag Host; the last two Sundays have been quite good. Age Range is mostly young, very friendly atmosphere, and especially friendly door staff and bar staff, most drinks at £2, and top quality DJ's (the main dancefloor will feature a NEW DJ from next week, see facebook for announcements).

For LGBT people in or near Rotherham town centre, SWEET, every Sunday, is just the ticket, as it saves a taxi fare of £24 or so coming back from a night out in Sheffield, and plenty of exciting things are being planned such as a live PA and other antics in the coming weeks!

Next SWEET is THIS Sunday, 15th March, 10pm until 3AM, also PRE-PARTY at STUDIO just next door!:love:

BTW, its interesting about the Sanctuary lol; I can understand closing for work to do up the upstairs, and there was also a leak over the dancefloor that had to be fixed the other week, so perhaps there are reasons for closing for 10 days (Thats more like 2 weeks, not just one) for the work. Looking forward to it reopening, though, maybe they would like me to do some drag cabaret or even DJing, but who would I contact is Stu is not in charge any more?

Air2007, glad that you are asking about what's happening at Onyx Rooms. for the uninitiated, Onyx Rooms (formerly MILANO'S) in Rotherham, has started running the new Gay Night 'SWEET' (Rotherham's first Gay Night in 2 years), with me putting in an appearance as Drag Host; the last two Sundays have been quite good. Age Range is mostly young, very friendly atmosphere, and especially friendly door staff and bar staff, most drinks at £2, and top quality DJ's (the main dancefloor will feature a NEW DJ from next week, see facebook for announcements).

For LGBT people in or near Rotherham town centre, SWEET, every Sunday, is just the ticket, as it saves a taxi fare of £24 or so coming back from a night out in Sheffield, and plenty of exciting things are being planned such as a live PA and other antics in the coming weeks!

Next SWEET is THIS Sunday, 15th March, 10pm until 3AM, also PRE-PARTY at STUDIO just next door!:love:

BTW, its interesting about the Sanctuary lol; I can understand closing for work to do up the upstairs, and there was also a leak over the dancefloor that had to be fixed the other week, so perhaps there are reasons for closing for 10 days (Thats more like 2 weeks, not just one) for the work. Looking forward to it reopening, though, maybe they would like me to do some drag cabaret or even DJing, but who would I contact is Stu is not in charge any more?

I think its still Stu Tyranna - yes it would be great to see you do more drag either Sheffield or Rotherham - not seen you do much lately but we all know you are busy with other projects ;-)

Archived