The Sheffield Gay Scene

Carborundum

So there are a few points to be made I feel,

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of booking major celebrities such as Girls Aloud or Kylie? I would guess them to charge in multiples of tens of thousands of pounds, and since Sheffield pride is currently funded through sponsorship and fund raising as opposed to charging for the event ,this was never going to be feasable.

The Sheffield scene is already quite fickle as it is and even charging £5 entry for the day I am sure would cause uproar and put people off attending, the event needs to be built up over time so as people are willing to pay for an event such as this. Manchester attratcs 20,000+ people over 3 days and charges the best part of £20, = £400,000, before they have any fundraising or sponsorship!

To all the people currently criticising (that will probably attend anyway) why not do your bit and volunteer for either stewarding or helping in the beer tent and show that you really do care as to how this event will grow.

As for the beer tent, Lions Lair was the only Gay bar in Sheffield to put a proposal to the Gay Pride Committee and it is being finalised today. The other bars were invited to partcipate but either declined or never proposed a plan. Also Lions Lair was one of the only venues to attend the open meetings.

On top of this the proposal for the beer tent returns almost all of the profits back to the committee for next years event, currently I haven't heard of any other venue offering such an amount (though I am sure they are perfectly happy to cash in on the coat tails of the pride event). This I feel is wrong, and such as Manchester where the venues sponsor and assist in everyway possible this isn't currently happening in Sheffield.

As for an AfterParty Lions has been leading the way now for a year in AfterParty events, such as Richard and Gerry from Big Brother, Ty from Space Ibiza, Edwin James, Carl Dean, John Dixon, Nick Davy, Adeama with live PA and John Paul. Others have come and gone, but we keep striving to provide the best late night entertainment in town, winning dannybreeze.com, Favorite Gay venue along the way.

I will happily confirm that as far as I am aware we are not the official AfterParty for Pride, we wouldn't be big enough anyway. But of course as usual we will be having events after both Climax and Pride on that weekend. With 6am after Climax, and 9am after Pride with South American BBQ from 7pm-10pm and hopefully all being well another live set from Adeama, followed by late night DJ mayhem as usual!

All volunteers can contact me via facebook, James Brown, admin on Lions Lair Reborn facebook group page, to arrange your assistance in the beer tent!

So there are a few points to be made I feel,

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of booking major celebrities such as Girls Aloud or Kylie? I would guess them to charge in multiples of tens of thousands of pounds, and since Sheffield pride is currently funded through sponsorship and fund raising as opposed to charging for the event ,this was never going to be feasable.

The Sheffield scene is already quite fickle as it is and even charging £5 entry for the day I am sure would cause uproar and put people off attending, the event needs to be built up over time so as people are willing to pay for an event such as this. Manchester attratcs 20,000+ people over 3 days and charges the best part of £20, = £400,000, before they have any fundraising or sponsorship!

To all the people currently criticising (that will probably attend anyway) why not do your bit and volunteer for either stewarding or helping in the beer tent and show that you really do care as to how this event will grow.

As for the beer tent, Lions Lair was the only Gay bar in Sheffield to put a proposal to the Gay Pride Committee and it is being finalised today. The other bars were invited to partcipate but either declined or never proposed a plan. Also Lions Lair was one of the only venues to attend the open meetings.

On top of this the proposal for the beer tent returns almost all of the profits back to the committee for next years event, currently I haven't heard of any other venue offering such an amount (though I am sure they are perfectly happy to cash in on the coat tails of the pride event). This I feel is wrong, and such as Manchester where the venues sponsor and assist in everyway possible this isn't currently happening in Sheffield.

As for an AfterParty Lions has been leading the way now for a year in AfterParty events, such as Richard and Gerry from Big Brother, Ty from Space Ibiza, Edwin James, Carl Dean, John Dixon, Nick Davy, Adeama with live PA and John Paul. Others have come and gone, but we keep striving to provide the best late night entertainment in town, winning dannybreeze.com, Favorite Gay venue along the way.

I will happily confirm that as far as I am aware we are not the official AfterParty for Pride, we wouldn't be big enough anyway. But of course as usual we will be having events after both Climax and Pride on that weekend. With 6am after Climax, and 9am after Pride with South American BBQ from 7pm-10pm and hopefully all being well another live set from Adeama, followed by late night DJ mayhem as usual!

All volunteers can contact me via facebook, James Brown, admin on Lions Lair Reborn facebook group page, to arrange your assistance in the beer tent!

You have a valid point and I don’t people think of the cost evolved not to emotion the time to organise these venue after all I cant see Kylie or Girls Aloud would do it for free (although I don’t like Girls Aloud tacky cheesy pop songs).

It would seem to me that a pride afterparty would require a very big venue, certainly bigger then the Lions Lair no offence, so it would seem obvious to me that if it is to be in a gay venu (which we still dont know!) it should be held in the cavernous Sanctuary that is now re-opened ...

Archived