The Nelson pub and Moorhead

prioryx

Was the Nelson at The Moorhead? Did you get to the bar up some stairs? did they have a stage for performance by singers and groups?

And what happened to the statue of Queen Victoia and the Crimea war cannon that used to be at the Moorhead

Originally posted by prioryx

Was the Nelson at The Moorhead? Did you get to the bar up some stairs? did they have a stage for performance by singers and groups?

And what happened to the statue of Queen Victoia and the Crimea war cannon that used to be at the Moorhead

Don't know about the others, but I think the Queen Vic statue got moved to the botanical gardens.

Nomme

the statue of QV was moved to Endclifffe Park IIRC, and the crimea monument was moved to the Botanical Gardens.

Unfortunately, for the monument, the botanics has had a revamp, and the monument was a casualty of that revamp.

I am not sure what plans the council have for any re-siting of the monument.

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

the statue of QV was moved to Endclifffe Park IIRC, and the crimea monument was moved to the Botanical Gardens.

Ah yeah! You're correct PT.

Queen Vic is in in Endcliffe park - just near the Hunters Bar entrance.

Didn't realise the Crimea monument (with which I was confused) had been moved!

Have to get down to the botanical gardens as haven't been there for ages.

Nomme

The monument has been removed from the Gardens and it's planned to re-erect it in the city centre , not sure where but somewhere around the Town Hall I think. Only part of it was moved to the Botanical Gardens, minus the tall column. The sections of the column were placed in a children's playground for the kids to climb on, but they're being retrieved.:thumbsup:

I used to go in the old Nelson in about 1960-1961. They used to serve really good three course lunches in the downstairs bar for 3 shillings and nine old pence (39p).

At night they had bands on in the upstairs bar and it had a bit of a rough reputation, once knocked over somebodys beer and expected a right thumping - never happened though.

When they knocked the pub down they built a tax office on the site.

Originally posted by extaxman

I used to go in the old Nelson in about 1960-1961. They used to serve really good three course lunches in the downstairs bar for 3 shillings and nine old pence (39p).

3 shillings and ninepence would be nearer 19pence than 39p. (Any significance between this and the name extaxman?)

Yours pedantically

Algy :thumbsup:

Some general points :--- the two singers were Sam and Lill[ or Sam and Nell? ] at the old Nelson. In the mid-50's we used to go to a great Youth Club , run by the Temperance Society [!] which was on Union Street , not far off where the Mambo was later situated. We used to go out onto the fire-escape for a quick smoke and you could hear the 2 singers , warbling away. We were more into Lonnie Donegan , Fats Domino and Little Richard , so we probably took the p *** out of the singing.

A bit later , I started going in the Mambo and the Nelson and got nicked in the Nelson for drinking under-age [17].

Interestingly enough , the landlord then was the father of Mick Crich and I remember seeing Mick dodging around the pub. I would guess he'd probably be about 13 or 14 then. Later , his Mom and Dad got the George at Hathersage and the Devonshire Arms at Baslow but I've forgotten which came first.

Yeah , the Nelson was always a lively pub ; never short of a punch -up or two .

Archived