Hole in the road - should it return?

Sheff2006

Hole in the road - should it return?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Hole in the road - should it return?

• Yes
    • No

Depends which version you're after.

If it is the original one, a clean, welcoming environment where shopping beneath street level was novel, with clean corridors, vending machines inserted into the walls, working escalators and a place where you could sit for a while, enjoying the hanging baskets and floral arrangement in the middle and where kids could rush to look at the aquarium and at night where one felt safe, then yes, maybe (but no - read on);

Or the one I also remember, where the escalators no longer worked, were strewn with fast food cartons and newspapers and sundry other junk (and human fluids), where one felt a sense of danger from drunks who made the place their own, where nothing worked and windows were boarded up. And a place one would avoid passing through at night.

The answer anyway is an emphatic no. We had it, Sheffield City Council managed to ensure its ruination and so filled it with rubble and what now lays above it is the better option.

The idea was brilliant. But in a nut, it no longer worked. We moved on and I'm glad we did (although I'll always have a soft spot for the place in its original guise).

Well, Sheffield has a proven track record of digging subways, watching them deteriorate and then filling them in again, so why not repeat the cycle yet again?.;)

Can we stick the wino's and homeless in it before they refill it ?

It would be a great place then.

I would rather have the one at the other end of arundel gate open. This would allow a better traffic flow into and out of the city than we do at present. Because of the idiots in the planning department now we have queues from about 7:45 in the morning at the other roundabout on eyre street, which has to filter through the friggin traffic lights and it is such a mess, but not surprising for the lunatics that run sheffield