Hole in the road - should it return?

Sheff2006

Hole in the road - should it return?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Hole in the road - should it return?

• Yes
    • No

If anyone would like the postcard (as per the link given by "Ousetunes" in post #8 on this thread) showing the central part of the complex with flower displays etc., it's on offer via eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Interior-Hole-in-Road-SHEFFIELD-Yorkshire-old-Postcard_W0QQitemZ380090075352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ?hash=item380090075352&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

No way should the "hole" return.Can you imagine what it would be like with the low life Hoodies roaming round it at night.It would be a nightmare !!!

Could always have lockable gates at night like how the subway at Pinstone Street/The Moor is gated. Or the City Ambassadors dotted around.

Many years ago (circa 70/72) in the summer months 3 or 4 of us used to park in Fitzalan Square in the early hours of a Sunday morning (usually in my Morris Minor) We would sit there for a couple of hours seeing the late night taxi queue disperse whilst we sang and played guitar, mainly Beatles songs. Often we entertained the naturally curious Bobbies who were based each night in the Police Box there. Eg. "Do you know Yellow Submarine?"

On more than one occasion we went down the Hole in the Road subway to sing prompted by the fact the it formed the most amazing whispering/echo gallery - if you stood at any point under a particular part of the arched roof you could project the quietest of noise round the perimeter several times. On a full 3 part harmony the sound was quite extraordinary.

Times gone by, never to return.

In a word NO! I used to love the whole in the road ,opened in the late 60s an enchantin place as a child,actually walking under the road,also seeing the Giant fish in the tank built into the wall.

And the whole in the roof looking up to the sky,and being able to enter the shops from under ground.

But sadly by the end of the 70s it began looking very sorry for its self,grafiti covering the walls litter all aroud,the escilators hardly ever working,drunks taking up all the benches and the fish tank with the glass so dirty if the fish survived you couldnt see them anyway.

What a sad end for what was a show piece for "The city on the move"

That was back then,to think what it would be like today i dread to think,you would take your life in your hands going down there.it would have to be closed off at night and policed by security 24/7

and actually looked after by someone.

So something simular could actually work but not in its old form.

In a word NO! I used to love the whole in the road ,opened in the late 60s an enchantin place as a child,actually walking under the road,also seeing the Giant fish in the tank built into the wall.

And the whole in the roof looking up to the sky,and being able to enter the shops from under ground.

But sadly by the end of the 70s it began looking very sorry for its self,grafiti covering the walls litter all aroud,the escilators hardly ever working,drunks taking up all the benches and the fish tank with the glass so dirty if the fish survived you couldnt see them anyway.

What a sad end for what was a show piece for "The city on the move"

That was back then,to think what it would be like today i dread to think,you would take your life in your hands going down there.it would have to be closed off at night and policed by security 24/7

and actually looked after by someone.

So something simular could actually work but not in its old form.

but thats like everything these days, no body gives a ****, councils grab grab grab all our cash but things start falling by the wayside, they cut back, they stop looking after things like they should :(

• 3 years later...

I loved HITR and it's a shame how the place ended up. Would never work today, as mentioned before, in it's old format. You've all on walking around safely above ground, let alone below...

Imagine if Meadowhall was open 24/7 with no security, no CCTV and half the interior lighting out... How long would it be before the place ended up like HITR before being demolished?

I wonder if HITR hand lasted another ten years or so if the place may have been cleaned up, made secure with CCTV and updated lighting, closed off at night, maybe the iconic landmark would still be with us?

Edited by Blue Moon

• 5 years later...