Gurkha veterans: should they stay? Updated following 2011 defence cuts

I like the Gurkas and spent some time in their area of Nepal, where they are called Gurungs. The pension income they bring in used to be the second highest foreign income earner in Nepal after tourism and the Gurung area is relatively affluent in this impoverished country.

Since the troubles that Nepal has had in recent years I wouldn't be surprised if it is now the largest foreign currency earner for Nepal.

I think the Gurkas shouldn't be allowed to retire to the UK. They knew the deal when they signed up and they should return to their own country which they will continue to make a little bit more prosperous.

I like the Gurkas and spent some time in their area of Nepal, where they are called Gurungs. The pension income they bring in used to be the second highest foreign income earner in Nepal after tourism and the Gurung area is relatively affluent in this impoverished country.

Since the troubles that Nepal has had in recent years I wouldn't be surprised if it is now the largest foreign currency earner for Nepal.

I think the Gurkas shouldn't be allowed to retire to the UK. They knew the deal when they signed up and they should return to their own country which they will continue to make a little bit more prosperous.

Would that apply to Iraqis who came to Britain, and were granted temporary leave to stay, yet now seem unhappy at the prospect of returning home?

I think you make some good points here. I don't think service in the UK armed forces should carry with it the automatic right of entry into the UK - although the point I was making earlier is that, as long as the UK has such lax immigration controls, the Gurkhas certainly deserve to be much nearer to the head of the queue than some groups I could mention.

I don't know why this government wont allow these brave men to stay in the uk

they have served in the british army for the past 200 years and received 13 Victoria crosses for bravery during that time yet the government says Gurkha's "lack strong ties with the country"

Of course they should be allowed to stay. They have earnt the right to live here in a way that can be said about very few.

The government should be ashamed of itself - "lack strong ties with the country" :rolleyes: - what an insult.

StarSparkle

I can hardly believe it, but I agree with StarSparkle

Little Buzz

I'm beginning to think you've got a crush on me, everywhere I post today, you've been posting right after me. What will Chopsie say? :o

It's very flattering and all, but you'll get yourself a reputation as a stalker :hihi:

StarSparkle

I'm beginning to think you've got a crush on me, everywhere I post today, you've been posting right after me. What will Chopsie say? :o

It's very flattering and all, but you'll get yourself a reputation as a stalker :hihi:

StarSparkle

It's all about you my dear - unlike other posters I don't use the 'view new posts' button to see the latest activity, read the thread, and post if I'm interested - you are the centre of my world, and I have no other concern than to see my name near yours on Sheffield forum, in the hope that a tiny little bit of your brilliance will sparkle on to me.

Little Buzz x

It's all about you my dear - unlike other posters I don't use the 'view new posts' button to see the latest activity, read the thread, and post if I'm interested - you are the centre of my world, and I have no other concern than to see my name near yours on Sheffield forum, in the hope that a tiny little bit of your brilliance will sparkle on to me.

Little Buzz x

I knew it! Oh I'm so happy - you've made my day, my week, my year. My life is now complete. I can die happy knowing that Little Buzz cared 'just a little' for me.

My life has been made worthwhile because of it.

StarSparkle xxxxxxxxxxxx

Damn right the should stay. We have people who bleed this country dry like Abu Hamza who dislike the country and milks it of benefits and we keep scum like him in clover, but people who have put lives on the line for the country are having to appeal. We have our priorities all wrong

Archived