Gurkha veterans: should they stay? Updated following 2011 defence cuts

Last year, at the same time that a Gurkha VC was denied entry, it was reported that a convicted Somalian rapist could not be deported because his country was too unsafe. On this occasion, the decision regarding the Gurkha was rescinded and he was allowed to stay. Given the number of worthless foreign scumbags we have admitted to this country, it is indeed scandalous that we are still denying entry to Johnny Gurkha.

yes...we need gurkha's.not shirkers.they should be given the right to stay,full pension and housing ,and not housing in some damp dark flat,they should be allowed the better housing with plenty of country side around them...bring them to sheffield,dont stick them in an inner city area

They should not only be given the right to stay but should be given the right to full UK citizenship if they so desired

I remember the Ghurkas from my time in the British Army. There were no wars going on then but they were a credit to the uniform nevertheless both in their appearance and their very obvious dedication and professionalism

Some people might call them merecenaries and in a way they were. I too was something of a merecenary having signed up and served in the US military but the US government did not treat me in the shabby way the Ghurkas are being treated. I qualified for a green card and was given permanent resident status in the US upon completion of my service.

I watched an interesting programme on how we quashed a rebellion in Sierra Leone, apparently we used slaves to help us and they were paid and treated as equal within the army, then when the war was finished we put them back into slavery.

At least we've improved since those times!!!!

agreed but if they want to stay they should no questions asked

theyve paid there dues more than a lot of us who are born here and hell of a lot more than most who are allowed to stay

They certainly have paid their dues!

43,000 of their number died in action serving the British in the 2 world wars.

They helped Britain win back the Falklands ,and are helping the British in Iraq and Afghanistan, and even helped Prince Harry get through his tour of duty in Afghanistan.

The British government is sticking to red tape and bureaucracy, but if ever a time red tape needed to be ripped up and discarded, then it should be for these brave men, whose reputation as a fearsome fighting force proceeds them the world over.

In fact it was reported that the Argentinian army deliberately avoided the Ghurka forces during the Falklands war, because they feared them so much.

I say let the Ghurkas stay, and let them go into schools, and perhaps our young people can learn a bit more about respect and discipline that seems so lacking these days.

Come on you government politicians, don't you understand that these Ghukas that you want to scrutinize on a case by case basis, helped you gain your lofty existence today.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.:suspect:

They helped Britain win back the Falklands and are helping the British in Iraq and Afghanistan, and even helped Prince Harry get through his tour of duty in Afghanistan.

The British government is sticking to red tape and beurocracy, but if ever a time red tape needed to be ripped up and discarded then it should be for these brave men, whos reputation as a fearsome fighting force proceeds them the world over.

In fact it was reported that the Argentinia's deliberately avoided the Ghurka forces during the Falklands war, because the feared them so much.

I say let the Ghurkas stay and let them go into schools, and perhaps our you people can learn a bit more about respect and discpline that seems so lacking these days.

Come on you government politicians, don't you understand that these Ghukas that you want to scrutines on a case by case basis, helped you gain your lofty existence today.

A good idea Kingmaker.

AYO GHORKALI:thumbsup:

They helped Britain win back the Falklands and are helping the British in Iraq and Afghanistan, and even helped Prince Harry get through his tour of duty in Afghanistan.

The British government is sticking to red tape and beurocracy, but if ever a time red tape needed to be ripped up and discarded then it should be for these brave men, whos reputation as a fearsome fighting force proceeds them the world over.

In fact it was reported that the Argentinia's deliberately avoided the Ghurka forces during the Falklands war, because the feared them so much.

I say let the Ghurkas stay and let them go into schools, and perhaps our you people can learn a bit more about respect and discpline that seems so lacking these days.

Come on you government politicians, don't you understand that these Ghukas that you want to scrutines on a case by case basis, helped you gain your lofty existence today.

Excellent points Kingmaker.

The Ghurkhas are owed so much by our government. They may sell their loyalty, but they do so through an international tradition of service and nobility - theirs is a noble cause, and they have always supported it with great nobility. Their families – and their children – would indeed be a positive influence for discipline and personal standards compared with many of the scrotes who are freely entitled to citizenship.

And you are right about the Falklands. Approaching Stanley, the Scots Guards completed the capture of Tumbledown, and 2 Para took Wireless Ridge. With the Ghurkhas posed to make the final assault on Mount William before our troops could march unopposed into Stanley, the Argentines dropped their weapons and ran – quite literally. The Ghurkhas were denied their moment of glory in that conflict, but few in the British Army would dispute that the Ghurkhas are the finest infanteers in the world, bar none. And thoroughly likeable people to boot.

Excellent points Kingmaker.

The Ghurkhas are owed so much by our government. They may sell their loyalty, but they do so through an international tradition of service and nobility - theirs is a noble cause, and they have always supported it with great nobility. Their families – and their children – would indeed be a positive influence for discipline and personal standards compared with many of the scrotes who are freely entitled to citizenship.

And you are right about the Falklands. Approaching Stanley, the Scots Guards completed the capture of Tumbledown, and 2 Para took Wireless Ridge. With the Ghurkhas posed to make the final assault on Mount William before our troops could march unopposed into Stanley, the Argentines dropped their weapons and ran – quite literally. The Ghurkhas were denied their moment of glory in that conflict, but few in the British Army would dispute that the Ghurkhas are the finest infanteers in the world, bar none. And thoroughly likeable people to boot.

Thanks Bartholemew,

I really am puzzled as to why the govenment is being so stubborn on this issue, so far I haven't heard one good argument put foward by any government spokesperson on this issue.

I would love to see the issue being debated on BBC's Question Time and would like to see some top Labour minister be grilled on this issue, if only to find out why the Government is so reluctant to change its position.

It is over forty years since I read Tell England by Ernest Raymond, but I have just come across these words from the book and think they epitomise not only the English/British but also the Ghurkha.

Tell England, Ye who pass this monument,

We died for you, and here we rest content.

Ayo Ghorkali!

They really are the most decent and honorable people you could meet, anywhere. If the average British youth were half the person I've seen in so many Ghurkhas I've worked with, our country really would be a better place.

Archived