Gurkha veterans: should they stay? Updated following 2011 defence cuts

If the French government can grant French citizenship and right of residence in France to all foreigners who have served honourably in the Foreign Legion then what's the problem with the British government doing the same for the Ghurkhas ?

To do anything less is mean spirited not to mention plain chicken <removed>

Any man who fought and risked his life for this country has an equal right of residence as anyone else. Those who are fortunate enough to be born here should welcome those who have been prepared to make such sacrifices on all our behalf.

If the French government can grant French citizenship and right of residence in France to all foreigners who have served honourably in the Foreign Legion then what's the problem with the British government doing the same for the Ghurkhas ?

To do anything less is mean spirited not to mention plain chicken <removed>

Jesus, wonders will never cease, I actually agree with you on something.

Jesus, wonders will never cease, I actually agree with you on something.

Well dont wee yourself with excitement. The Frist Ghurkha brigade was stationed a few miles from ours in Malaya. They were/are fine soldiers and were held in high esteem by us British Regulars.

Good drinking buddies too

No one got my point. :confused:

My point is that the Gurkhas were a source of cheap labour for the British army.

Once they got equality there was no reason to employ them.

Hence the disproportionate cuts to the Gurkha regiment(s). I'll be surprised if we still have Gurkhas in the British army in the future, why would we?

Any man who fought and risked his life for this country has an equal right of residence as anyone else. Those who are fortunate enough to be born here should welcome those who have been prepared to make such sacrifices on all our behalf.

Couldn't put it better. Well said.

Archived