Has anyone any information about Charnock Hall

magee

So Charnock hall was where the charnock estate is now,i lived there for the 1st twenty years of my life and i never knew there was anything remotely historic about the area,i will do some searching to see what i can find.

Originally posted by magee

Can anyone tell me what happened to Charnock Hall, when and why it was demolished My grandmother lived there before she was married, her maiden name was Rhodes. Thanks, any info would be very interesting

Hi Magee,

My owd granny used to tell me she'd been in service at Charnock Hall before she got married. Coincidentally(or are we somehow talking about the same person?), her name was Mary Rhodes and she had two sisters - Rebecca and Agnes. They came from Beighton.

If you look on the grass verge outside St Peters church on White Lane, Gleadless, you can see a large rectangular stone. This stone is from the old Charnock Hall building and has a descriptive plaque on it.

The building was located I think on the top of Charnock Hall Road and I bet that the people living there now have stones in their gardens from this building without even knowing it.

Buy a copy of the book about historic Gleadless. I think its written by Pauline Shearstone or a name similar. You can still get a copy I think from the Post Office at Gleadless Townend, thats where I got mine from.:D

Archived