Has anyone any information about Charnock Hall

magee

Thanks for filling me in on some facts. Yes it was, of course, Fiddler's Field. The public footpath (and part of my twice daily walk to/from Briarfield Ave to Charnock Hall school), ran just below the scout hut and over a couple of stiles before crossing the top of Fiddlers Field and passing in front of Charnock Hall. Do you remember Akala (Mr Barlow I think) - who lived on Smithfield Rd.? His wife ran a girls group.

In the bottom corner of the field, approximately where the library is now, was a black misson hut and used as an annex to St Johns church at Ridgeway. because that part of Gleadless was in Ridgeway Parish then. I went to Sunday school there. Later, when the 'new' St. Peter's church was being built on the site of Basegreen Farm, I was taken to the Foundation Stone laying ceremony. We bought bricks for a penny each and we wrote our names on them before they were laid. I wonder whereabouts in the building they are?

---------- Post added 06-12-2012 at 15:54 ----------

Thanks Kidorry. There are plenty of collieries on the map - long gone now of course. But I do remember playing on humps of ground which I realised years later were old spoil heaps. Can anyone remembers groups of youngsters going round at Christmas with black faces doing an old mining custom 'Derby Tup'? I'm still doing it at 67 !

I used to love riding up and down the spoil heaps on my bike at the bottom of Fox Lane!.

Yes I remember those humps too. Do you remember when a fairground appeared one year on the field next to Fox Lane (could have been Lings), at the same time as the annual one on Fiddler's Field (Farrars ?) in front of Charnock Hall farm ? I think they only came a couple of times and didn't return after that.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 23:52 ----------

Charnock Hall and Charnock Hall Farm was one and the same. There was the house itself and adjoining barns, stables and other buildings which enclosed an inner yard. You could go through an archway on the 'Fiddler's Field' side to get into the yard. I remember seeing a cow being milked by hand there once. This was in the 1950's and the place was run down by then, but it must have been one of the bigger and more important farms in its heyday. I remember the adjacent row of cottages being pulled down (what a sad sight) but not Charnock Hall Farm itself.

My. How Gleadless has changed from the village I remember.

• 7 months later...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=&action=search&keywords=Keywords%3BCONTAINS%3B%25Charnock_Grove%25%3B

I have lived on Charnock Grove since 1981. I found this picture, (I live accross from the car - you cant see our house).

My house has no hallway and a shared drive as you come further up the road (where you can see the wall and trees on your right and where Charnock Hall is indicated) these houses are bigger with their own drives, which I have now found out is because these were built after ours, when the hall was demolished.

Yes I remember those humps too. Do you remember when a fairground appeared one year on the field next to Fox Lane (could have been Lings), at the same time as the annual one on Fiddler's Field (Farrars ?) in front of Charnock Hall farm ? I think they only came a couple of times and didn't return after that.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 23:52 ----------

Charnock Hall and Charnock Hall Farm was one and the same. There was the house itself and adjoining barns, stables and other buildings which enclosed an inner yard. You could go through an archway on the 'Fiddler's Field' side to get into the yard. I remember seeing a cow being milked by hand there once. This was in the 1950's and the place was run down by then, but it must have been one of the bigger and more important farms in its heyday. I remember the adjacent row of cottages being pulled down (what a sad sight) but not Charnock Hall Farm itself.

My. How Gleadless has changed from the village I remember.

The fair at the bottom of Fox Lane was an annual event, I've had many a goldfish from there as a kid!. We used to walk from Basegreen Drive and cut across the 'triangle' of land where the modern houses are now. I used to go to sleep listening to the sound of the fair.

I think there are some photos on Picture Sheffield.co.uk??

I'll have a look........

P.s I spent the first 20 years of my life on the charnock estate too,.. Not far from the top shops?

No photo's have yet been found of charnock hall but there is a drawing of it by Cecil Higgins in one of Pauline Shearstones books on Gleadless.

Archived