Hole In The Road (Including an ode)

Oh, and memories of the Videmat machines on the buses .... I can remember chucking loads of change in to get a massive ticket :hihi: They were on the 20 route around the early 80s cos that's when I would have used them. I've actually got a pic somewhere of a Sheffield bus in its proper (blue and cream) colours with the Videmat sign on the front, taken at a rally in Cleethorpes in the 90s.

the videmats were still in use in the early eighties? I cant remember them being in use before I left school in 1980! I remember them being in use in the early seventies, and into the late seventies, but i cannot remember them being in use by the time i was working. I, too, remember the fun of collecting as many ha'pennies as I could, for my fare, and trying to get the longest ticket

I do remember the introduction of the "Wayfarer" ticket machines which utilised a pre-pay card, these were in use mostly on the number 60 route. this would have been mid eighties.

PT

• 1 month later...
It would have been filled in around 1991/1992 for the supertram work.It was the demolished Kelvin flats that were used to fill in the hole, hope the fish got out first!

According to the front page of the Sheffield Star at the time an italian style piazzo (square) for the supertram stop would be built in its place. WHAT WENT WRONG!!!

It was later 93 or 94, I was working for Terrier and recall it being filled and then driving over what was pretty rough surface before High St was shut to traffic down hill ready for tram lines to be built.

Pity really as the lines could have formed a bridge over the Hole.

rbrt

there used to be a thorntons kiosk that sold miss shapes, entrance to c & a,i think there Blaskeys wallpaper shop ,a wedding shop, just by the old exit that brought you out by the co op,i remember getting bridesmaid dresses ther for my sisters wedding in 1974!

• 6 months later...

i cant remember much about the hole in the road other than sitting in front of the huge masses of fish, my mum used to sit me there while she magically whipped round and did her shopping. i was a real weirdo then cos i would just sit and stare at these fish. i had never been so amased in all my life

:confused:

The hole in the road, as a teenager born in Sheffield this hole was a great meeting place for new girl friends wherever we met either The Hartbeat,Bowling AlleyTop Rank etc it was always meet you at the fish tank at whatever time or day.

But can you all remember the Christmas Tree that always came from Norway and the top could be seen from the road above, and the plastic Raindeers around the circumferance at the road level.

In 1968/9 myself and my friends had been to a party in Taptonville and arrived back in the town centre around 2 in the morning and decieded to ride the Raindeers at the top of the hole. (I am not proud of it but it was once a year) we were well under the effects of the Christmas spirit, but the local plod were not in the same frame of mind. We spent 3 hours at Water Lane before we were allowed to make our way home, no charges were brought and not one of us dare say why we were so late home.

So in my opinion the most stupid decesion that Sheffield Council ever made was to fill the hole for the stupid SUPERTRAM.

I was shocked when I came back to Sheffield to find the hole gone in 95

Sheffield without the hole in the ground is like a Polo Mint without the hole, which is what a Trebor Mint is.

Bring Back The Hole

think the tandy shop was infront of the loos.there was a key cutting place and a GT news also.well no one knows where the fish went then.

Trying to cast my memory back...

there were at least two lots of loos,

on the house of frazer (walsh's) side, there was the underground entrance to, well. HOF, and the escalatorfrom high-street...

then on the YEB side there was :-

the underground entrance to YEB, a fruit and veg shop (bradshaws or something...), bunker and pratley (SP?)a tv/ electricals shop (which became a shop for bedding and towels, and there was the bridal shop . toward the main space there was the thorntons, and a shoe repairs, and IIRC a newsagent, opposite the SYT offices where you could get timetable and bus info. (and some loos i think) the lower ramp led to the side of the Marples pub, and Fitzalan Sq

there were lots of window displays. for c&a, co-op and others...

on the C&A/ co-op side there was the entrance to the clock-house dept at C&A, and a ramp, up to the co-op, or "down" past c&a to fitzalan SQ

between the co op and schofields there was a tunnel with some loos, and on that row there were three or more shops, two of which I can definitely remember.. a hairdressers, and a shop that sold "china"/pots, cups, plates etc.

the ramp went left, to some escalators which led to the old bank (Now bankers draft pub) or a ramp. that led to the right to Schofields and the ABC cinema.

Archived