Hole In The Road (Including an ode)

Not that long ago, I was asked by a visitor to Sheffield for directions to the Bankers Draft. I pointed the guy in the right direction, and he said he'd got lost because his friend, who he was meeting, had told him to look for the Hole in the Road.

Of course, today, there are many holes in Sheffield's roads - most of them testimony to our council's lack of investment.

For investment I think we should perhaps read INTELLIGENCE.

Waggin’ It

“It’s Thursday - It’s Double Physics – An’ I’m Waggin’ It!”

Leap off a 53, into t’Rag Market, drink a cuppa tea stood up.

Cadge a woodbine off the toy seller

Stroll to Fitzalan Square, Pond Street Nora shouts at me.

Giggle, dodge into Wigfalls, droolin’ over a Ferguson Stereo,

5 quid down, ten bob-a-week

Up to Cockaynes, look at teapots – Nice!

Cross to Walsh’s 3rd floor café for a toasted teacake,

Lookin’ down on JCBs diggin a colossal hole? Why?

Snake down Chapel Walk into Canns,

Listening to Marvin in a perspex booth – Sweet!

Hop on a bus, up Fargate, down to T’Moor.

Past Ray Allan’s Closin’ Down Sale (Now in it’s 4th year)

Skip off wi’out payin and wander into Redgates.

Wow! A giant Meccano Helicopter – Great!

Play one-man Subbuteo – today I’m Brazil

Step out, blinkin in the sunlight, peek at my watch

Ouch – Only five past ten!

Could be a long day….Cole Brothers next?

Where did th Hole go to and why was it filled in. It was a feature of Sheffield in the late sixty's and as an expat people ask where has it gone. Visitors from far and wide allways link Sheffield with the hole. I was in Stornaway on the Western Isles and I was asked where I came from and on reply Sheffield I was told "the big hole in the ground in the town centre"

Who decided to fill it in and why

• 3 years later...

Dear Steve

I would like to use your ode to the Hole in the Road - for a text book I am publishing which includes a chapter on 'sense of place' and uses the eg of the hole in the road - the book is called Visual Methods in the Social Sciences: Awakening Visions - and is due for publication later this year - Of course I will include full credits to you in the book. Would it be possible to use your poem?

Regards

Steve (Warumpi)

Dear Steve

I would like to use your ode to the Hole in the Road - for a text book I am publishing which includes a chapter on 'sense of place' and uses the eg of the hole in the road - the book is called Visual Methods in the Social Sciences: Awakening Visions - and is due for publication later this year - Of course I will include full credits to you in the book. Would it be possible to use your poem?

Regards

Steve (Warumpi)

Good Luck Mate! Steve hasn't posted anything in over 7 years.

Archived