Hole In The Road (Including an ode)

When the hole in the road was first built, it was the last word in luxury, it had underfloor heating, access to all the major city centre stores. one could sit in the hole and see the blue sky and sunshine and people used to go there in droves, both summer and winter, sit there with flask and sandwiches, at the side of the tropical fish in the tank in the wall.

The ladies and gents toilets were a pleasure to use and everything was shiny and new with attendants to keep them smelling clean and fresh. You could walk under cover in the rain from High street, all the way down to King street and Bank street, without having to dodge the traffic.

Sadly, it was not long before the vandals started their usual campaign of destruction, intimidation, and filling it with filth, drunks and drug addicts sleeping rough across the benches and seats so that no one else could sit down. Then there were gangs of yobos,walking through the subway, linking hands therefore effectively blocking the way for anyone going about their business.

It finished up before the hole closed, with thugs taking sledgehammers down with them at night and smashing the toilet bowls and the sinks into pieces, when I was stood at the urinal one night a gang of young men walked in and brought their girlfriends in with them. Once again the ignorant,arrogant,stupid, dimwits in our society had ruined everything for the decent citizen.

• 4 weeks later...

God! I really used to love seeing those fish! I used to be happy on a saturday afternoon when my mum dragged me into town at the thought that we could go and see the fish! The innocence of your younger years! Ehhh.... Does anyone know what happened to the fish?:o:evil:

Archived