Hole In The Road (Including an ode)

I thought they had been to court to file a case for a salt and batter-y.........*groan* sorry, had to do it.

I also wondered how the hell they fed the fish, but I have been in formed it was through that door at the side.

I remember the hole in the road fondly, also I remember the shops that they had built into it, like the newspaper stall and the newsagents, I also remember the old Bus station that was at the bottom of snig hill, my dad used to work on the buses at that time, so a lot has changed over the years, I was born in 1970 so have seen the various changes.

I assume that the 'hole in the road' was filled in around march time 1993 as the bridge for the tram has 1993 on the side of it.

Yeah but across from the fish can you remember the guy who used to sell them 'MAGIC EYE' posters, i was stood looking at one for ages and could not for the life of me see anything. Apparently I was supposed to be looking at the Statue of liberty:lol: i just saw dots and wavy lines:o

img160.jpg

the pic above details:

The 'Hole In The Road' in Sheffield in 1971. Now the former shopping arcade has been filled in and the Supertrams ride over the top of it.

• 3 months later...

Anyone remember when they put the Piranha's in the fish tank? It must have been around the early seventies. They were only there for a few weeks (I think), but my god, you should have seen the teeth. They would have seen to the idiots that annoyed folk in the last years it's life.

It's a darn shame that it's gone.

Originally posted by Kry10

I thought they had been to court to file a case for a salt and batter-y.........*groan* sorry, had to do it.

I also wondered how the hell they fed the fish, but I have been in formed it was through that door at the side.

I remember the hole in the road fondly, also I remember the shops that they had built into it, like the newspaper stall and the newsagents, I also remember the old Bus station that was at the bottom of snig hill, my dad used to work on the buses at that time, so a lot has changed over the years, I was born in 1970 so have seen the various changes.

Ah, Bridge Street Bus Station! That was where I use to catch my bus home form work when I lived on the Shiregreen - either the number 47 or 48.

Can anyone remember when they were the 150 and 151?

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Ah, Bridge Street Bus Station! That was where I use to catch my bus home form work when I lived on the Shiregreen - either the number 47 or 48.

Can anyone remember when they were the 150 and 151?

Sure can remember. Only thing I could never work out is why they had such a high number. Seemed a bit odd. Until they went over to one man operation they always seemed to get the oldest and grottiest buses. After that they got some new ones. I remember the smell of fresh vinyl on the new Daimler Fleetlines that went on the route in 1970/71. It was pungent. I used to take the bus from Rock Street to Shiregreen lane to go to school at Hinde House (150 out and 151 back). Anyone remember the experiment with the exact fare coin box in 1973?

Originally posted by Andy

I remember where the Hole was, of course, but where did the passageways run to?

Where could you get into the underground world that was the Hole in the Road?

They basicly came up outside cooplands highstreet (escalttors), TJ Hughes (hence now has a crossing), C&A (or what ever it is now) and that fabric shop. You could also get in via an entrace that used to be next to the ABC Cinema which is where the hotel is next to Argos, the entrace used to be where those two meet.

I remember they used to be one at the CO-OP as well it used to have an Owls shop (i think it was could be Blades).

The Hole in the Road was filled in using stuff that was dug out of the channel tunnel.

I used to meet my girlfriend at the fish tank, before we went over to the Dove and Rainbow (1977/78)

It was a lovely place in the early days, but I think by 1990 it had run its course, and certainly women used to avoid it as it was a bit threatening.

Archived