Hole In The Road (Including an ode)

Originally posted by Lickszz

Does anyone remember the record shop that was in one of the subways branching off the hole in the road. I think it was called "Wolf" or something.

Yes, it was a great record shop, even rivaled warp on division st!

Also, wasn't there an entrance to Dixons or Curry's in the Hole in the road?

Originally posted by chri5

Yes, it was a great record shop, even rivaled warp on division st!

Also, wasn't there an entrance to Dixons or Curry's in the Hole in the road?

no, there wasn't a currys/dixons in the HITR, but there was an electrical shop called (IIRC) Bunker and Pratley.

I remember being able to get into the YEB building from under the HITR, and I also recall that, on the Bankers Draft side of the subway, you could access the BD bank building from the subway itself.

I liked the display windows under the subway, from Rackhams (TJ Hughes) and such as the co-op,(before the vandals etc forced them to be boarded up).

True Story!

A friend of mine fell down the HITR escalators that were outside Rackhams, when she was eight-and a half months pregnant. (about 1985/6this was)

She just passed out, bang! (not sure exactly why, but she did) She was only a fortnight off delivering her baby.

She fractured her jaw in 3 places (at the top, middle and bottom of the escalator, I think... Joke!!) and had to have her jaw wired.

She made a dreadful mess of herself, and she was grazed, and black and blue where she'd bounced off the sharp metal treads of the escalator.

The awful thing was, the accident triggered her labour to come on early, She ended up delivering the baby with a wired-up jaw. (jeesh! can you imagine...? horrendous!!!)

Thank God, the baby was unharmed. (the waters around baby acted as a sort of cushion, and protected it...)

Plain Talking

Originally posted by John

I am 100% sure there was an electrical shop called Tandy accessable from the hole in road.

There was a Tandy under there not sure where though but I do remember it being there, and it was only under the hole in the road.

I wonder what the address was, was it just Castle Sqaure? As it was before and after the hole in the road.

Don't why its called a square when its not.

Jubby

Originally posted by jubby

There was a Tandy under there not sure where though but I do remember it being there, and it was only under the hole in the road.

I wonder what the address was, was it just Castle Sqaure? As it was before and after the hole in the road.

Jubby

Yes tandy was on the same side as Marples just further up and you could access it from the underground and I think it was on 2 floors because I am sure I remember looking for some leads upstairs.

Originally posted by jubby

Jubby

ISTR that it used to be the Cattle Market.

Archived