Hole In The Road (Including an ode)

These are great memories. In its day, when people didn't feel like smashing their city up, it looked great. Flowers in the middle, the fish tank that brought so much joy to every child who visited the HITR; the windows and entrances to the shops which in a sense predated Meadowhall.

Does anyone remember the vending machines that were inserted into the walls? I think they served tea and coffee, cigarettes and sweets. And wasn't there a newsagent? It was a forward looking design, complete with some of the only escalators situated in an outside environment.

Unfortunately, the place deteriorated. It became a huge dustbin, papers and rubbish at the foot of the broken escalators, windows boarded up due to vandalism. It became synonymous with down-and-outs and the it began to stink like a toilet (or a post office on a Thursday).

Shame, but I guess it was the correct decision to fill it in, if only to put the rubble from Kelvin Flats somewhere!!

Keep the memories coming...,

• 1 month later...

Hey my Uncle supplied the fish for the tank as he had and still has his own tropical fish shop. I used to love seeing them and so did my kids. My daughter[who's 19 this year] even says what a shame something so unique had to be destroyed but I suppose that's what you call progress. Gwen.

Originally posted by Miss_smiley

Was it just my overactive imagination or was there a really large fish tank in the wall and the tiling on the walls were glazed?

sorry to disapoint you ordinary sized fish, magnified glass.Gwen.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

I can remember that experiment. You put your money in a slot and the ticket came out with a sort of printout of your coins on it.

I can't believe this is mentioned. I've got a memory of using one when I was about 5yrs old (1978/9) but nobody of my age group believes me!

Someone mentioned they were like a brass rubbing. I seem to remember that the coins were printed backwards on the ticket as though they fell into ink, and then flipped?

Thanks guys

K x

You co uld say that the Hole In The Road was a symbol of urban life in the U.K.It had all the things that people mentioned-----and also at the beginning , two clean , usable toilets , a little office cum canteen for transport personnel and convenient entrances to the shops round there.

It perhaps had other things that I've forgotton.

Then it deteriorated into a hell-hole. The Yobs did this just as they spoilt life on places like Park Hill flats and still do in other places, too numerous to mention.

But what did the authorities do to stop it ? Have we lost the power to police ourselves ?

After all we manage to find money to go on international jaunts but can't even control a few Brain -Deads.What's worse than the Yobs wrecking the Hole In THe Road is Society not getting angry enough to take action.

The "Hole" COULD have been a pleasant place. Any continental city would have valued it but we seem so dumb in this country that we just sit back ,gape , and let the Yobs do as they wish.

Because this has all happened ,nationally and locally ,under all the mainstream parties , it's no wonder that a lot of people are turning to , let's say , more vigorous parties .Yeah , the "Hole "was a symbol alright !.

So many of us remember the fish tank!

I too looked forward to seeing it if I was dragged to town with my Mum. it was always the last visit in order to keep me in check...

"Any whining & no fish tank" :thumbsup:

How many of us must have stood next to each other at the time, never dreaming we would be reminiscing its' demise on a medium only dreamed of in science fiction?:rolleyes:

I agree wholeheartedly, sheffexpat. It has become so commonplace now that we accept it as the norm. I get really angry when I read that the council is planning to throw away millions of pounds in 'renovating' a notorious housing estate in Sheffield. It's not the places that need renovating (which, once done will soon sink back to what it was like before) but the people, the minority who ruin it for everyone else.

Like you say, why can't they be policed? Why can't they be stopped? No, we just bow our heads and walk away. It is however comforting to know that on this particular thread, something as simple as a civic fish tank has given so much pleasure to so many 'ordinary folk' and that its memories continue to do so.

Whilst I'd hazard a guess that I'm younger than yourself (35) I can recall visiting the Hole In The Road in a day when people had pride in such places, where flowers didn't get ripped out or trodden on, where grafitee (or should that be 'street art') wasn't plastered on all and sundry and when Public Toilets could be left open because the only reason people wanted to use them was 'to spend a penny' and not as a place to shoot up or smash up.

Then again, it's today's 'anybody but myself to blame' culture...,

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Whilst I'd hazard a guess that I'm younger than yourself (35) I can recall visiting the Hole In The Road in a day when people had pride in such places, where flowers didn't get ripped out or trodden on, where grafitee (or should that be 'street art') wasn't plastered on all and sundry and when Public Toilets could be left open because the only reason people wanted to use them was 'to spend a penny' and not as a place to shoot up or smash up.

Then again, it's today's 'anybody but myself to blame' culture...,

PT stands up and gives ousetunes a resounding round of applause!

Now, we always had the odd one or two people who would vandalise and take drugs, but I cannot remember vandalism, graffiti and destruction in my childhood and youth as being anywhere near as bad as it is today.

only twenty or thirty years ago, you could walk down a street, and be able to see the stone-or brick-work for graffiti:- today it seems like everyavailable surface is the canvas for some "artist" who is a legend in his own lunchtime.

PT

Archived