Hole In The Road (Including an ode)

Originally posted by GHaywood

I used to love looking at those fish when I was a kid.

Ah memories....

Yeah me too!

up untill I was about ten years old my mum used to take me down there to see them! can remember it very well all those knackered old escerlators that led to it, and shops I remeber a fruit and veg shop, fads, a tiny newsagents and others I cant remember. Cause the fish were the highlight! I wonder what happened to them in the end? ahhh

I also remember being taken to see santa down there too! You followed a path round a tacky snow scene till you got to a ticket type window with santa inside, very strange!

Anyone else got fond chilhood memories of the ol' Hole? Quite miss it actually shame they filled it in!

Alex xxx

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the shops there, there was a thorntins toffee shop there which I loved,, and by the way my dad helped construct the hole in the road he was an engineer for the city

Originally posted by alchresearch

I believe it actually had underfloor heating, too!

Plus you could get into shops via their basement entrances. You could get from the Haymarket, through C&A right over to the department store at the other side without having to go outside - handy in Winter!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone remember the bands that used to busk in the hole in the road.? The Sharp Cuts were a kind of rockabilly skiffle band with fifties hairdo's and then there was Don Valley and The Rotherhides who were a kind of rockabilly skiffle band with fifties hairdo's.

Originally posted by Alex C.

Just found an incredible site with images of Sheffield - http://www.firthparkgrammarschool.co.uk/sheffield01.htm (click the > at the bottom to go through the pages). Didn't realise how old the castle markets building was and how good some of the eyesores looked when they were build...

Thanks for the link - truly fascinating.

Did you notice the dearth of grafitti? Likewise bus-lanes? Didn't everywhere look tidier, that you can feel a sense of civic pride? Goodwin Fountain with its jets at full-force, not the pathetic dribble it became in the 1980s when it was half-filled with water, half-filled with rubbish.

Same goes to the fountain near the railway station, whose surrounding bedding plants were a spray of colour, full and bright making the whole area feel nice to be in.

The night picture of the Hole-in-the-Road (now it seems, much lamented), with the roof lights all working. Forward to the aerial shot of the same place in the 1990s, dirty, ugly-looking and that's without going underneath.

The original Christmas lights on Fargate. Impressive, something to be proud of, 'the best in Yorkshire' we claimed. And we were right.

The Peace Gardens with Norfolk Street running alongside, before the debacle that was the town-hall extension, which we managed to get rid of only to find something uglier and more bland.

Talk about opportunities lost. Still, a nice trip. Thank you.

• 8 months later...

The hole in road was demolished not due to supertram but due to eec regualtions regarding vehicle weights. If you remember a lot of bridges were being strenghened to cope with heavier lorries the HIR wouldnt have survived.

There was a bsu enquiry office and a bus drivers rest room / inspectors office.

The idea of the concreate canopy round the hole was so that you could walk round in the rain and keep dry,

The hole in the road, fabulous place in the daytime, truly scary place at night. I (and I am sure many others) took to risking life and limb jumping over the various barriers on the surrounding dual carriageways rather than face the dangers of what lay beneath at any time after the shops had shut. As early as 1983 it had its problems, a drinking buddy of mine was stabbed and killed going through there on his way from the Wapentake to Rebels on a Friday night.

It is such a shame to think that with the right sort of re-development to get more folks going through it at all hours (a few select bars - continental style etc) it could have remained the wonderful landmark we all fondly remember.

Altogether now # Meeemmmmmmmmmorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeesssss

I read somewhere - probably in The Star - that an old bloke used to feed and look after the fish and he took them home with him when they emptied the tank.

Oh, and memories of the Videmat machines on the buses .... I can remember chucking loads of change in to get a massive ticket :hihi: They were on the 20 route around the early 80s cos that's when I would have used them. I've actually got a pic somewhere of a Sheffield bus in its proper (blue and cream) colours with the Videmat sign on the front, taken at a rally in Cleethorpes in the 90s.

Does anyone remember the magic tap in the subway entrance to the British Gas showroom on Coles Corner/Fargate (now HSBC)?

Archived