Naming a business

I agree. I have a friend who dislikes most my sites because they don't look like phpBB or other off the shelf templates. Then one day I showed him some books on award winning web design, where you feel more like your walking into a boutique in Milan rather than franchised corner shop, he soon remembered that I have lot's of design qualifications and a large library to boot.

If it's a good site, then the quality and ethos will spread itself in a natural way.

Oh yes (says the bobbing doggie in the window), I used Drupal for a while, then went for Joomla. Then a security project I was doing needed something special so I went for a basic CMS and it's sorta grown from there, it'll be becoming opensource very soon, basically it's the parent site I need to design, but too much on. There is a test version somewhere on php freaks from almost a year back now, but I wouldn't recommend that one in comparison to the current version.

Im going against the grain here, but the key to optimizing a site, is to build it as you would like then optimize after, dont design your site looking for rankings, as your customer will end up thinking it is a robot who designed it.

It definitly is against the grain.

If you are wanting to get sales, or enquiries for sales, from the internet then you should create your site based on your keywords and build it from there. We are talking about on-page optimisation - and there are parts of that you would do during the development phase otherwise it means the customer paying again in some cases.

Google webmaster guidelines say you should page-optmise for the search engines, which means using your keywords in the optimisation (of course), therefore your meta data needs those keywords in there, in the navigation, and so on.

Your front end design and web copy should appear as natural as posssible to the visitor but of course, this is a skill not somehting you can just throw up without some researched thought behind it.

Exactly. Similar in structural layout as Drupal, yet easier to mod for. In ways quite heavy on the logging and security still, but that's what I needed and like.

@INDIZINE

Yes 'form follows function', but that thought process leads towards a generic design ethos, whereas a striking, exciting and different concept can be tweaked and optimised for SEO without too much hassle, and should lead to a deeper, more layered result, stronger i'd say.

Not really incorrect, depends what you are talking about. For people who have already got sites up and running, I wouldnt recommend changing the url for the keyword phrase. If we are talking Google, (which most of the search traffic comes from), they are mostly an off page search engine in terms of rankings.

Google also says we shouldnt buy paid links too. does this make it correct?. Obviously as an SEO, I believe an optimization campaign is paramount to get noticed but lets have a little creativity.

Also what happens if the keyword loses momentum, and doesnt bring in the rankings anymore do we change our brand image for the next most popular keyword.

No, your company identity should be about what the company is and stands for, not just an online ad campaign.

From reading some SEO books, it seems to me that to get 100% in certain areas your content should just comprise of your domain name, keywords, theme and page title, repeated a few times. My sites are generally content then SEO orientated, but then again most of my personal stuff is opensource lead.

Archived