Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

Yes Falls your right, there was one at the bottom of bramber st & spital st aswell, right in the middle of the open area I remember climbing them both,we use't to tie ropes on the handles & swing on it had many a knock on the knees & legs, had my first pint in the merry hart a few months before my 18th B/D. graet memory's.

I am looking at an old map of the area (1900) trying to get my mind around what used to be at the top of Spital St. From the Brunswick Rd/Nottingham St junction. Going up Spital St on the right we have what looks like Houghton St (I cannot remember this street), then Verdon St and Neville St. Then Spital St seems to go into an open area heading to what we used to call the "Bull Rocks". From the right comes a track leading from the Rock St end of Marcus St. To the left is a track that leads to Marcus St which shows it joining Brunswick Rd at about where Whitby & Chandler was. I cannot remember Marcus St joining Brunswick Rd. Does anyone remember this area?:confused:

Hi Warday

I have just found a street map for 1950s. Yes Verdon St went accross Spital St to join Marcus St. Apparently Marcus St came out onto Brunswick Rd opposite number 90 Brunswick Rd, somewhat higher than Whitby & Chandler. The playground was on Oborne St off Marcus St. If you go on picturesheffield and plug in Oborne St they have a good photo of the playground (wembley). That really does bring back memories, remember the "Flying Plank"!

Hi Warday

I have just found a street map for 1950s. Yes Verdon St went accross Spital St to join Marcus St. Apparently Marcus St came out onto Brunswick Rd opposite number 90 Brunswick Rd, somewhat higher than Whitby & Chandler. The playground was on Oborne St off Marcus St. If you go on picturesheffield and plug in Oborne St they have a good photo of the playground (wembley). That really does bring back memories, remember the "Flying Plank"!

remember" the plank, got thrown of it a few times then there was the two Iron horse's had a slit lip from the head of that.

Yes we played in that wembley many times.We used to play cricket on Marcus Street just before it joined Brunswick road.There was a large kind of garage area that had a lot of lorries on it,and a bombed out place on the other side which lead you onto Spital street, just above Booths shop.

This map I am looking at is dated April 1953. At No: 61 Spital St there is building marked "Hall". From the map it looks like rather a large building. It backs onto what looks like open ground on Marcus St/Brunswick Rd. It looks like the rear house walls of Court 7 houses 2,3 &4 were attached. Was this building some kind of business. I can't remember it.

Any clues?

This map I am looking at is dated April 1953. At No: 61 Spital St there is building marked "Hall". From the map it looks like rather a large building. It backs onto what looks like open ground on Marcus St/Brunswick Rd. It looks like the rear house walls of Court 7 houses 2,3 &4 were attached. Was this building some kind of business. I can't remember it.

Any clues?

I lived at 7/2 ie Seven Court 2House. My mother used to say there was an abbattoir behind at one time. Our house was right next to the bombed site.