Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

Hi,

Where Brunswick Road crossed Spital Street and Nottingham Street used to start, there was a gas lamp in the middle of the junction. It was raised up from the road on a circular stone or concrete base that had sloping sides. Kids used to climb up onto the top of the base but there was hardly any room to stand, so you had to hang-on to the lamp post itself.

The intersection had what you might call five corners. Going around clockwise, there was: the Merry Hart pub, Langley's green grocers, Gowers grocer (that later became a betting shop), a private house and last but not least, Brewster's beer off/corner shop.

I seem to remember Mr Brewster had a car/station wagon called a "Lee Francis". They we supposed to be a quality car like Lanchester's. You hardly saw Lee Fancis cars in Sheffield - and even fewer in Pitsmoor.

After Brewster's, the business was run by Walter Pollit and his wife. The Pollit's ran the shop until the re-development, when they took over a shop down Spital Street. This was in the new block built across where Bramber Street used to join Spital Street, The shop faced towards Spital Hill.

Do you remember any of this?

Regards

Exactly as I remember, your first two paragraphs.

I lived at 7/2 ie Seven Court 2House. My mother used to say there was an abbattoir behind at one time. Our house was right next to the bombed site.

The street map is on the Sheffield History site under Maps. It is map No: 10

I am looking at an old map of the area (1900) trying to get my mind around what used to be at the top of Spital St. From the Brunswick Rd/Nottingham St junction. Going up Spital St on the right we have what looks like Houghton St (I cannot remember this street), then Verdon St and Neville St. Then Spital St seems to go into an open area heading to what we used to call the "Bull Rocks". From the right comes a track leading from the Rock St end of Marcus St. To the left is a track that leads to Marcus St which shows it joining Brunswick Rd at about where Whitby & Chandler was. I cannot remember Marcus St joining Brunswick Rd. Does anyone remember this area?:confused:

The area you are on about was called the old hill, you got to it down a path at the side of the pawn(popshop) on the top left corner where Spital Street met Neville Street. I used to use this way to get to Wembley.

By the way you said that you remembered me I'm Michael Morley

The area you are on about was called the old hill, you got to it down a path at the side of the pawn(popshop) on the top left corner where Spital Street met Neville Street. I used to use this way to get to Wembley.

By the way you said that you remembered me I'm Michael Morley

Yes, that's as I remember it,to get to Oborne St I just wasn't sure about the pawn shop.

Thanks CornishRose. Yes I do remember Michael Morley. I believe Mick had a poorly leg. What I do remember about Mick was that he was very good at Maths. See if he can remember any of these names? Dennis Butler, Robert Barwell, Peter Rigby, Billy Raines, Peter Digby, Joan Grayson, June Lindley, Pauline Linley, Margaret Wheelhouse, Joan Durham. Ask him if he can remember Mr Taylor and Miss Smith; 2 great teachers. We all seemed to lose touch when we went to different schools after Pyebank.

Was there a pawn shop at the top of Spital St?

Yes I can remember a few more names. Wilfred Akers, Bobby Gambles, Brian Shaw, Denis Fidler, Stuart Spivey, Laurence Naylor, Brian Wilkinson (Dereck Dooley's cousin), Frank Nicholson, Peter Stringfellow, Roy Wright, Alan Stephenson, Alan Williamson, Maureene Elves, Pat Fox, Maureen Bourne, Joan Hunter, Kathleen Smith, Pauleen Smith, Sheila Russell.

[/b]

Edited by mickowl91