Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

How strange Cornish Rose?

After your wake up call yesterday I started to let the memory pictures come back.

The different bonfires that we had in the area came to mind.

The first one I remember was the VE day bonfire in the middle of bottom Bramber St.

Later, as the children were small, there was one in Tony Haigh's yard. I believe there was one in Saunders' yard. When we were early teenagers there was one at the top of the lower Kilton St bombsite adjacent to Brunswick Rd. I remember going out on bonfire raids getting stuff from other bonfires. Homemade Parkin, roast chestnuts and roast potatoes are ingrained in my memory. Mighty Atoms, Squibs,roman Candles and Rockets. My brother used to spend all his bonfire money on Penny Bangers. Very Happy Times

. I remember going out on bonfire raids getting stuff from other bonfires. Homemade Parkin, roast chestnuts and roast potatoes are ingrained in my memory. Mighty Atoms, Squibs,roman Candles and Rockets. My brother used to spend all his bonfire money on Penny Bangers. Very Happy Times

In Lower Walkley (Grammar St) we did similar things around bonfire night with fires in the backyards and on the bombsites. I think the Mighty Atoms (if it was around 1958/60) were white with red print, and the times we had bangers and jumping jacks thrown at our feet it's amazing there weren't more injuries. I remember one make of banger, "Wilders Zip Bang", which would send a bin lid 8 ft into the air. Whatsmore, kids could go into the corner shops and come out with as many fireworks as they could afford!

Hallo again I sent you a message, in regards to Iris & margaret. ON PITSMOOR IN THE 40s & 50s. on this post its bramber st & brunswick rd, i was called up & went in the army from bramber st in 54 to 57,the slum clearence had been & gone by the time i got out. BUT I do remenber the names you mention (Russall) PAT, her friend, Sheila spivie,LES fleming,DON & Albert morley albert died about 12 yrs ago don still with us, he's a couple of yrs older then me Im 75, by the way Im frank ward,two sisters & two brothers joyce-Iris-george & james just me & george still here. a few more names for you,John alsopp- gerald saxton- henry curtis- david kerrigan,and many more. Im also on fachbook.take care.

Hello Wardy, Don here! I'm learning computering so I will get back to you to have some good chats!

Yes I recall quite a lot of names from both Bramber Street and Brunswick Road.

Bramber Street from the bottom

Mrs Liversedge, Tony Haigh, Billy + Robert Elshaw, Roy Wright, Joe Saunders, Freddie + Carol Scott, Alan Hendry, Eric + Pat Rymell, Frank, George + James Ward, George + Joan Hunter, Mr Machin, my Family, Christopher + Richard Ufton, Alan Fairfax, Leonard, Lesleie + Norah Harpin,

The Drabbles, the Hancocks, Brian Wilkinson, Laurence Naylor.

Shops Mrs Spinks, Webssters, Whites + Xine Pub

Brunswick Road fom Gower Street end

Noel Hattersly, Steven Saxton, Maurice Crookes, Wilfred Akers, Billy Nelson,

Darkie Chambers, Les + Dawn Fleming, David Lath, Old Mrs MacDonald

up entry were the McGraths, Jean and Margaret Hughes, Terry, Alan + David Moore, John + George MacDonald, Mrs Cowlishaw, back dow entry then came Michael + Susan Warburton, Ron + Billy O'Neill went to Shiregreen, Bron, Madge, Yvonne, Gary, George, Kathleen + John Winfield, the Bells, Pat Brown, Barbara + George Maden, David Langley, Alan Scott, Jean Taylor, Ann + John Boyle, Michael + James Campbell, Freddi Bull,, Valerie Howson, Carol Crowder the Saunders

Darkie Chambers I have not heard that name for donkey's years.

Just to say you missed a couple, John & Graham Earnshaw, were between Carol Crowder & Tony & Colin Saunders. Farther down Were the Pascoe's Richard & his sister, forgot her name.

Edited by pitsmoorboy

hello stuzo, mick has a very good memory hasent he, I might be able to help with where there are now, I'll start with the memory man, mick has 2 brothers still with us--Arthure & Don-- Im one of the wards ( Frank)& just George he lives in lincoln. the Scotts-Fred-Caroll-Pauline-Brian-Terry-& mark All still here in sheff, Susan Warburton-Ecclesfield-Len harpin - handsworth, just a couple of names mick diden't mention Henry Curtis-moved abroad & John Alsop lives near me at longley.Thats the best I can do for now, cheers.

Hello Frank,

You were almost right with Scott's names. Pauline is wrong, it's Doreen

Hello Wardy, Don here! I'm learning computering so I will get back to you to have some good chats!

hiya Don, I thouth you was an expert already, Ive only been useing this contraption since April 2010 (very adictive).

Hello Frank,

You were almost right with Scott's names. Pauline is wrong, it's Doreen

Hello pitsmoorboy. I see Terry & carol regular & when we talk about the family it always sounds like Pauline? I could be wrong will make sure next time i see them.

Yes I recall quite a lot of names from both Bramber Street and Brunswick Road.

Brunswick Road fom Gower Street end

Noel Hattersly, Steven Saxton, Maurice Crookes, Wilfred Akers, Billy Nelson,

Darkie Chambers, Les + Dawn Fleming, David Lath, Old Mrs MacDonald

up entry were the McGraths, Jean and Margaret Hughes, Terry, Alan + David Moore, John + George MacDonald, Mrs Cowlishaw, back dow entry then came Michael + Susan Warburton, Ron + Billy O'Neill went to Shiregreen, Bron, Madge, Yvonne, Gary, George, Kathleen + John Winfield, the Bells, Pat Brown, Barbara + George Maden, David Langley, Alan Scott, Jean Taylor, Ann + John Boyle, Michael + James Campbell, Freddi Bull,, Valerie Howson, Carol Crowder the Saunders

Hi,

You mention Les and Dawn Fleming in your list.

Do you know what happened to Les? He and I were in the same class at Pye Bank and all the way through Burgreave.

Stange but the last time I saw him was on Ladies Bridge one Saturday in the late 1950's(?). He had just got out of work and was rushing home (the family had moved out to Ballifield by this time) to get changed and go to Brian Tompkin's wedding.

You might remember Brian lived on Kilton Street and was also in our class at Pye Bank & Burgreave.

Regards

PS.

There are quite a few other names on your original list that I remember but can't put faces to the names. I'll plead old age

Edited by Falls
Post-Script added