Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

On the corner of Nottingham St, opposite Langleys greengrocers. It was Ken Greens.

Hello,

Wasn't Gowers on the corner of Nottingham Street and Spital Street with Greens next door?

I first recall Green's during the War. Ken's father was running to shop for Ken was still in the Services. Army I think

Regards

Hello,

Wasn't Gowers on the corner of Nottingham Street and Spital Street with Greens next door?

I first recall Green's during the War. Ken's father was running to shop for Ken was still in the Services. Army I think

Regards

Yes i think you are right--Gowers--Greens then a barbers after that i can only remember the paper shop at the corner of verdon st & spital st.

Yes i think you are right--Gowers--Greens then a barbers after that i can only remember the paper shop at the corner of verdon st & spital st.

Hi

Wasn"t the paper shop on the corner of Thistle street and Spital Street and called Bottomlys

Right Stuzo, remember Alf Parkers motor cycles spairs shop on spital hill it was faching bramber st, playing with the tyre one night let go it started rolling down bram st me & 3 of the lads tried to stop it impossible to heavy, just had to watch it gethering speed hit the pavement bounce 3ft in the air right into the glass & into the shop.

Yes I remember Alf Parkers shop and I remember the famous tyre going down Bramber St and through his window. He used to have a lock up garage on Spital Lane so we used to see him and his bikes regularly. I believe he was a speedway rider. There used to be another large garage next to his that the vans that used to transport Films around the country were parked. we used to use the garage doors as goals. Did you get into trouble for the tyre escapade?

Yes I remember Alf Parkers shop and I remember the famous tyre going down Bramber St and through his window. He used to have a lock up garage on Spital Lane so we used to see him and his bikes regularly. I believe he was a speedway rider. There used to be another large garage next to his that the vans that used to transport Films around the country were parked. we used to use the garage doors as goals. Did you get into trouble for the tyre escapade?

Spot on stuzo, my sister joyce dated one of the van drivers he took me if he was local on saturday.The local bobby came up bramber st we would scatter in 4 different directions, got away with it.

A chippy and a pub on nearly every corner and most people made a living and could afford to patronise them. As my father in law used to say "We were poor but we were miserable". But, he didn't really mean it! Perhaps we were not as sophisticated as now and expectations were more realistic. I look back on those days as very happy times.