Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

A chippy and a pub on nearly every corner and most people made a living and could afford to patronise them. As my father in law used to say "We were poor but we were miserable". But, he didn't really mean it! Perhaps we were not as sophisticated as now and expectations were more realistic. I look back on those days as very happy times.

So do I Stuzo.

Reading the tyre incident reminded me of a similar occurance. We rolled a tyre filled with bricks from the top of Parkwood down onto Parkwood Springs. The tyre made it to the road at the bottom and knocked down a load of vegetables outside a greengrocers. The shop owner didn't know where the helll it had come from.

We were going to roll it into the little hut in the quarry (where the explosives were kept) but we lost our bottle. But to get back to Bramber and Brunswick, does anyone remember who lived in those houses, right on the point of Spital St and Bramber St, looking toward Spital Hill? The houses in question were up some steps with railings, I think, on a kind of balcony. Was it a family by the name of Bamford by any chance? They had a lad, name of Barry, went into the Merchant Navy straight from school.

Reading the tyre incident reminded me of a similar occurance. We rolled a tyre filled with bricks from the top of Parkwood down onto Parkwood Springs. The tyre made it to the road at the bottom and knocked down a load of vegetables outside a greengrocers. The shop owner didn't know where the helll it had come from.

We were going to roll it into the little hut in the quarry (where the explosives were kept) but we lost our bottle. But to get back to Bramber and Brunswick, does anyone remember who lived in those houses, right on the point of Spital St and Bramber St, looking toward Spital Hill? The houses in question were up some steps with railings, I think, on a kind of balcony. Was it a family by the name of Bamford by any chance? They had a lad, name of Barry, went into the Merchant Navy straight from school.

Good to here we wasen't the only tyre vandals in pitsmoor, i think i know the houses you referring to there was about 4 faching spital hill, Barry Bamford rings a bell but can't put a fach to the name, there was a mrs candlin who lived in one of the houses one of the few homes that had a front & back door the yard served a few homes on spital st & a few on bramber st with Lavvies.

Mrs Candlin was the one who used to throw a bucket of water on us when the noise got a bit too much. The little wall was a meeting place where we used to sit and "chat". The houses used to back on to a slopng yard that we used as a shortcut to spital st. I can remember the backsteps being "donkey stoned". Warday, your Don used to be one of the "Older Heroes" telling tales of the scraps in town.

Mrs Candlin was the one who used to throw a bucket of water on us when the noise got a bit too much. The little wall was a meeting place where we used to sit and "chat". The houses used to back on to a slopng yard that we used as a shortcut to spital st. I can remember the backsteps being "donkey stoned". Warday, your Don used to be one of the "Older Heroes" telling tales of the scraps in town.

Syuzo, I think you have me mixed up with the morleys im a ward Don is a morley, hope you haven't been at the wine gums.

Barry Bamford was a tall kid, big built, dark hair. This was back late 40's. I last saw him about '49 he'd gone into the Merch', did one trip, didn't like it and was looking for another career.

sorry can't remember i was only 13 yrs old in 49 so it sounds like he would be older then me.

Yes i think you are right--Gowers--Greens then a barbers after that i can only remember the paper shop at the corner of verdon st & spital st.

The Barber was Harry Brammer (I think) then Bottomleys paper shop corner of Thistle & Spital St. further up was a shop called Bensons, then the chip shop, after that was the Cromwell View pub corner of Spital & Verdon St. then I think there was another shop past the Cromwell View. On the other side coming back down was Northcliffe's (not sure of the name) further down was the old butchers, then Booths, and on the corner of Brunswick Rd. & Spital St. was Langleys green grocers.