Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

I left in 1952 and can remember all the teachers but none of the pupils.

Hi,

I have the same problem. There were 40 kids in our class at Burngreave but I'm hard-pressed to remember more than a dozen. But its much worse than that.

One cold winters night in c1963, I stopped for petrol at a garage on Abbeydale Road. The attendant came out to pump the fuel and we started talking. He spoke as if we were long lost buddies but I hadn't a clue who he was.

Eventually, he gave his name and a very dim light went "ON". It seems we had been in the same class from Sept 1948 to Dec 1951 and I couldn't remember him then..... or since!!

Regards

Does anyone remember having cocoa and sugar in a little paper cone? My Mum used to give it us sometimes..presumably when we wanted sweets, and didn't have any money.

We licked our finger and dipped it in....bit like with lemonade crystals.

Edited by CornishRose
typing error

Hi,

I have the same problem. There were 40 kids in our class at Burngreave but I'm hard-pressed to remember more than a dozen. But its much worse than that.

One cold winters night in c1963, I stopped for petrol at a garage on Abbeydale Road. The attendant came out to pump the fuel and we started talking. He spoke as if we were long lost buddies but I hadn't a clue who he was.

Eventually, he gave his name and a very dim light went "ON". It seems we had been in the same class from Sept 1948 to Dec 1951 and I couldn't remember him then..... or since!!

Regards

So it is not only me then.I had the same thing with someone who was with me all through the army.He came to visit me and I had not a clue who he was and I still cannot recall him.

Does anyone remember having cocoa and sugar in a little paper cone? My Mum used to give it us sometimes..presumably when we wanted sweets, and didn't have any money.[/quote ]

The highlight of the week for me & my two brothers was when my sister got her wages on a friday send one of us to the corner shop for a mars bar,she would cut it into 5 pieces she would have the 2 end pieces we had the 3 BITS in the middle.

Did you get my pm ?.

So it is not only me then.I had the same thing with someone who was with me all through the army.He came to visit me and I had not a clue who he was and I still cannot recall him.

Its like that other well-worn expression: "I'll never forget what's-his-name."

Regards

Does anyone remember having cocoa and sugar in a little paper cone? My Mum used to give it us sometimes..presumably when we wanted sweets, and didn't have any money.[/quote ]

The highlight of the week for me & my two brothers was when my sister got her wages on a friday send one of us to the corner shop for a mars bar,she would cut it into 5 pieces she would have the 2 end pieces we had the 3 BITS in the middle.

Did you get my pm ?.

Yes, I've replied.

Yes I remember cocoa and sugar, also rhubarb and sugar and a penny dip sherbut. Being one of 3 kids we always shared be it a mars bar an orange or whatever. I can't remember whether this was before rationing or just after rationing when shops started to get stuff into the shops but the corner shop at the bottom of Bramber St used to have its delivery of sweets and there was a rush on by folks with the queue going round the corner. My father gave my sister a shilling and asked her to get what she could for us three. She came back with 12 packets of Beechnut chewing gum. I can remember my father being not too impressed. My brother and I had to go round our mates trying to get swaps on the Beechnut. Tricky!

Yes I remember cocoa and sugar, also rhubarb and sugar and a penny dip sherbut. Being one of 3 kids we always shared be it a mars bar an orange or whatever. I can't remember whether this was before rationing or just after rationing when shops started to get stuff into the shops but the corner shop at the bottom of Bramber St used to have its delivery of sweets and there was a rush on by folks with the queue going round the corner. My father gave my sister a shilling and asked her to get what she could for us three. She came back with 12 packets of Beechnut chewing gum. I can remember my father being not too impressed. My brother and I had to go round our mates trying to get swaps on the Beechnut. Tricky!

My Mum continued to always cut up Mars Bars, years later.