Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

Hi Falls, I went to pyebank school we lived on Fitzalan st.I worked with Les Flemming and Brian tompkins at Stanley tools

Hello Valsden,

Good to hear sombody remembers them. The last time I saw Les (1958-59), I seem to remember he or both of them were at Woodhead Components.

I haven't seen Brian since the early 1970's. We happened to meet in Glossop road one lunchtime.

Regards

Hi Cornishrose,

If I remember my old imperial measurements a gill was a 1/4 of a pint or 32 gills to a gallon. I used to fetch a jug of beer from the Vine sometimes for old Mrs MacDonald, she use to have 6 gills which was a pnt and half and it cost just One Shilling and sixpence.

Mickowl91

1/4 pint doesn't seem much for my dad.

Hi,

Comments on Gills reminded me of something.

There used to be a milkman called Low or Lowe who sold milk by-the-measure in that part of Pitsmoor. That is from a churn on the back of a horse-drawn cart. His yard was on Nottingham Street just down from the Co-op.

My Grandmother lived on the other side of the street and used to buy milk from him by the half pint or sometimes the 'gill'.

I was only young at the time so this must have been 60, or more, years ago.

Regards

Hi,

Comments on Gills reminded me of something.

There used to be a milkman called Low or Lowe who sold milk by-the-measure in that part of Pitsmoor. That is from a churn on the back of a horse-drawn cart. His yard was on Nottingham Street just down from the Co-op.

My Grandmother lived on the other side of the street and used to buy milk from him by the half pint or sometimes the 'gill'.

I was only young at the time so this must have been 60, or more, years ago.

Regards

I mentioed this on this page thread 245 he was our milk man, he would leave his horse & trap on Bramber Place Which was flat & walk to the house's on both sides of the street, with a large churn of milk & 3 measuring jugs, his name was Worrill he sold up in 1957 & took the Brown Cow Pub in the Wicker.

I mentioed this on this page thread 245 he was our milk man, he would leave his horse & trap on Bramber Place Which was flat & walk to the house's on both sides of the street, with a large churn of milk & 3 measuring jugs, his name was Worrill he sold up in 1957 & took the Brown Cow Pub in the Wicker.

Hi,

Now you mention it, the name "Worall" sounds familiar but I never knew where he fitted-in to the story of the milk delivery business around that part of Pitsmoor.

My Grandparents had lived on Nottingham Street since the late 1920's and Low may have been before Worall. Who Knows!

Regards

Edited by Falls

Can anybody remember any of the families who lived on either Bramber Street or Brunswick Road in Pitsmoor before slum clearence. Where are they now.

i use to live at 268 brunswick road ie ian holmes -sherlock mates were brian scot trevor ellis robert crow-raven terry scott vinny betts keith lasemby-lou

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the herbalist on Spital Hill. It was located on the right hand side going down towards the Wicker and seemed to be somewhere around the Lodge Inn. We used to call in for a Sarsaparilla or a stick of liquorice root that we used chew forever until it became a fibrous mess. If you were really hard you would chew a stick of cinammon. He also used to sell really strong tasting black liquorice sticks. As lads we used to be really keen on fishing and used to spend hours longingly looking in Billy Clarkes fishing tackle shop at his flourescent floats. Good times!

Does anyone remember the herbalist on Spital Hill. It was located on the right hand side going down towards the Wicker and seemed to be somewhere around the Lodge Inn. We used to call in for a Sarsaparilla or a stick of liquorice root that we used chew forever until it became a fibrous mess. If you were really hard you would chew a stick of cinammon. He also used to sell really strong tasting black liquorice sticks. As lads we used to be really keen on fishing and used to spend hours longingly looking in Billy Clarkes fishing tackle shop at his flourescent floats. Good times!

Hiya stuzo, yes i remember the herbalist we use't to call it the drinks shop my favorite was a OXO drink (red hot). Like u say near the lodge pub.And between the drinks shop & the lodge was the L M S horse stables, the marshalling yard entrance was on the corner of spital hill & saville st.

While we're heading down Spital Hill does anyone remember a tailors shop just above the aforementioned herbalist's? It was only a small place and I had a jacket made there not long after he opened. It was a dogtooth ( fashionable back then in the 50's), cost me about ten quid I reckon. Just after I'd had it made jackets with vents became the thing to have, so I didn't wear it much.

I had that jacket for about thirty two years until it finally rotted away in my garden shed.