Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

Hi

i remember Billy he was as strong as a bull he didnt live on Gower street although he was around that erea alot he was a character i cant remember him ever having a chat with anyone he was a loner sure enough he used to have is mouth open and look up at the stars and screw is neck round, i think he must have lived on his own? i dont think he had more than two washers a year LOL but like most people he was harmless and never bothered anybody, come to think of it you dont see them sort of people these days such as Billy and Pond Street Nora,

Your right, we use't to torment him something we regret as one gets older & looks back in time.

wonderful thing hindsight its not the done thing know, i have just thought of another eccentric if thats the proper word, he was a feller who had a horse and kept it in the Merry Heart stables i think it was every Sunday he used to get it out of the stables put what i can only describe as a chariot on the horse (which was well kept by the way) (the horse i mean)and take it for a run round for a hour or so i dont know where he went with it but he would come out of the Merry Heart stables and go full pelt up Nottingham street the horses shoes would slip like hell i dont know how the horse kept its balance

His name was Billy Wainwright.He helped Mr.Ash( I think that was his name) the coalman on Sorby Street.He delivered to our house.

yes thats right and when Ashy (thats what we called him) packed in he still carried working on the coal whith different coal men who worked him very very hard whom i would say took advantage of him

wonderful thing hindsight its not the done thing know, i have just thought of another eccentric if thats the proper word, he was a feller who had a horse and kept it in the Merry Heart stables i think it was every Sunday he used to get it out of the stables put what i can only describe as a chariot on the horse (which was well kept by the way) (the horse i mean)and take it for a run round for a hour or so i dont know where he went with it but he would come out of the Merry Heart stables and go full pelt up Nottingham street the horses shoes would slip like hell i dont know how the horse kept its balance

Don't remember that one, (the chariot) would that be whot was called a TRAP seats about 6 people.

Don't remember that one, (the chariot) would that be whot was called a TRAP seats about 6 people.

Thats it a trap could not remember the name but it would not hold six from what i remember it would hold two standing up and he had the rains in his hands just look like a chariot though he was a big tall bloke whith a white mustache i think i remember it i used to live at the back of Gowers and sit on there step so i could see things happen there

yes thats right and when Ashy (thats what we called him) packed in he still carried working on the coal whith different coal men who worked him very very hard whom i would say took advantage of him

Yes, and maybe gave him just a few BOB for his days graft.

Thats it a trap could not remember the name but it would not hold six from what i remember it would hold two standing up and he had the rains in his hands just look like a chariot though he was a big tall bloke whith a white mustache i think i remember it i used to live at the back of Gowers and sit on there step so i could see things happen there

You would know Cliffe Oxley then he lived in the yard at the back of Gowers.