Bramber Street/Brunswick Road

SAMLAD

CornishRose,

Can you add any details about the top of Spital St

I was 70 earlier this month and I am trying to remember the streets. As it was then if I carried on up Spital St passing Langleys on the left to the top, the road turned sharply to the right where I believe there was a pawn shop. Did the road then become Neville St.

I knew a girl who went to Pyebank who lived on the left hand side of Spital St above Langleys called Joan Grayson, she had a friend called June (Lindley). They both went to Hurlfield Grammar. Did Verdon St join Spital St from the right I seem to remember a lad called Johny Greasby

I drove round there yesterday and Spital St seems to have been cut off at the top

CornishRose,

Can you add any details about the top of Spital St

I drove round there yesterday and Spital St seems to have been cut off at the top[/QUOT

Hello Stuzo. Yes, I'm sure you are correct about Neville Street - My Uncle lived on there. He had a photography shop at one time - another Morley. I'm not sure about Verdon Street. I've got an old street map book somewhere....I'll see if I can find it. Do you know Michael Morley?

Thanks CornishRose. Yes I do remember Michael Morley. I believe Mick had a poorly leg. What I do remember about Mick was that he was very good at Maths. See if he can remember any of these names? Dennis Butler, Robert Barwell, Peter Rigby, Billy Raines, Peter Digby, Joan Grayson, June Lindley, Pauline Linley, Margaret Wheelhouse, Joan Durham. Ask him if he can remember Mr Taylor and Miss Smith; 2 great teachers. We all seemed to lose touch when we went to different schools after Pyebank.

Was there a pawn shop at the top of Spital St?

Thanks CornishRose. Yes I do remember Michael Morley. I believe Mick had a poorly leg. What I do remember about Mick was that he was very good at Maths. See if he can remember any of these names? Dennis Butler, Robert Barwell, Peter Rigby, Billy Raines, Peter Digby, Joan Grayson, June Lindley, Pauline Linley, Margaret Wheelhouse, Joan Durham. Ask him if he can remember Mr Taylor and Miss Smith; 2 great teachers. We all seemed to lose touch when we went to different schools after Pyebank.

Was there a pawn shop at the top of Spital St?

Yes, I think there was. Mick still has a bad leg.

In my short drive around Bramber/Brunswick/Spital Streets the other day I was amazed how small the area of my chilhood looked. We seemed to have loads of places to play back then but now all the dwellings look so condensed. I remember the cobbled intersection of Spital St, Bramber St and Spital lane being quite a large area with a central gas lamp in the middle. At the junction of Bramber and Spital streets was a short row of houses looking down the hill to Spital Hill. These houses had a low wall in front of them where groups of teenagers and younger kids would congregate of an evening much to the annoyance of the residents. Sometimes a bucket of water would be thrown when things got too noisy. At the start of the Rock & Roll years us youngsters saw our first "Teddy Boys" on the street. The older lads on this thread will remember this I hope. I remember going to the Wicker Cinema to see Bill Haley in "Rock Around The Clock" and when the music started up the Teds would get up with their girlfriends and dance, much to the concern of the management. The music was here to stay and changed the lives of many backstreet kids. Now who remembers those days!

In my short drive around Bramber/Brunswick/Spital Streets the other day I was amazed how small the area of my chilhood looked.

Hi,

Where Brunswick Road crossed Spital Street and Nottingham Street used to start, there was a gas lamp in the middle of the junction. It was raised up from the road on a circular stone or concrete base that had sloping sides. Kids used to climb up onto the top of the base but there was hardly any room to stand, so you had to hang-on to the lamp post itself.

The intersection had what you might call five corners. Going around clockwise, there was: the Merry Hart pub, Langley's green grocers, Gowers grocer (that later became a betting shop), a private house and last but not least, Brewster's beer off/corner shop.

I seem to remember Mr Brewster had a car/station wagon called a "Lee Francis". They we supposed to be a quality car like Lanchester's. You hardly saw Lee Fancis cars in Sheffield - and even fewer in Pitsmoor.

After Brewster's, the business was run by Walter Pollit and his wife. The Pollit's ran the shop until the re-development, when they took over a shop down Spital Street. This was in the new block built across where Bramber Street used to join Spital Street, The shop faced towards Spital Hill.

Do you remember any of this?

Regards

Edited by Falls
Text correction

Hi Falls

I certainly do remember all of those landmarks except the gas lamp in the middle. Did that remain until the clearances? There used to be a chip shop just up Nottingham St on the right. They did great home made pies. There also used to be a fire water tank opposite the chip shop. The bottom of Nottingham St no longer exists. Regards

I remember running home from Pyebank school down Nottingham St from the church kicking my tennis ball against the walls all the way home. One day down the left with my right foot the next day down the right with my left foot. It makes me laugh when I hear football pundits going on about £100,000 a week players who can actually kick with both feet! :rolleyes: