Are you a blood donor - or not?? Reasons why...

Do you give Blood - if not, why not??  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Blood - if not, why not??

• Yes, I am a Blood Donor
    • Used to give blood - now I don't want to (no particular reason!!)
    • Tried to - Iron levels too low
    • Tried to - Bad Experience!!! (Bruising/Fainting etc)
    • Don't like needles!!
    • Don't like Blood!!
    • "High Risk" Lifestyle
    • Medical History
    • Location of session
    • Timing of session
    • Thought about it but not tried to
    • Not though about it
    • Don't think I can (but not checked!!)
    • Foreign travel
    • Tattoos/Piercings in last 12 months
    • Don't know where to find info
    • Other!!!

I started donating about 2 years ago and do so now on a regular baisis - i actualy enjoy it - is that strange?

It dosnt hurt one little bit, and it only takes 5 minuites to fill a bag of blood, you actualy spend more time laying down on the beds after finishing donating - one time i actualy fell asleep, although the nurses were not worried as my snorring indicated that i was still alive !!!

Being O- blood i think its important for me to give blood as only a small percentage have this type of blood and it can be given to virtualy everyone regardless of blood type.

I started donating about 2 years ago and do so now on a regular baisis - i actualy enjoy it - is that strange?

It dosnt hurt one little bit, and it only takes 5 minuites to fill a bag of blood, you actualy spend more time laying down on the beds after finishing donating - one time i actualy fell asleep, although the nurses were not worried as my snorring indicated that i was still alive !!!

Being O- blood i think its important for me to give blood as only a small percentage have this type of blood and it can be given to virtualy everyone regardless of blood type.

:thumbsup: As you say, O Rh Neg can be given to practically anybody in an emergency.

It's also used for babies - one adult pack can be split into 8 mini-packs for baby transfusion... I always think the mini-packs look so cute!!!!! :help:

Yes I'm a donor

Main reason is i'm a motorcyclist, had many friends who've needed blood after nasty accidents on the bike so i donate as often as i can.

My opinion is every motorcyclist should donate if they are able too. Sadly you never know when you or your friend may need that blood your giving !!:(

but if they wan't to give my blood to someone else who may need it thats fine too :)

I have donated several times but haven't for about a year as i am one of the awkward people who run at a normal level of haemoglobin but just under the threshold required to donate. My Hb is routinely about 12 and it needs to be 12.5 to donate or i could technically end up clinically anaemic by the end of my donation (only just but they still won't let me). I am currently munching lots of green leafy veg like a good girl to try and boost my iron levels so i can actually donate next time!!!

It causes much mickey taking at work when i get rejected and i come back from the donor van covered in pin pricks and sticking plaster but still not having given blood as my job is working in a haematology and blood transfusion department! I can dish the stuff out and test it for other people's blood groups but mine just doesn't cut the mustard!

:thumbsup: As you say, O Rh Neg can be given to practically anybody in an emergency.

It's also used for babies - one adult pack can be split into 8 mini-packs for baby transfusion... I always think the mini-packs look so cute!!!!! :help:

I donate regularly I'm also O Rh Neg; when my ID card arrived in the army it had me down as O+ (postive) it was the only time that I refused an order when told to carry it until a replacement arrived.

I have donated several times but haven't for about a year as i am one of the awkward people who run at a normal level of haemoglobin but just under the threshold required to donate. My Hb is routinely about 12 and it needs to be 12.5 to donate or i could technically end up clinically anaemic by the end of my donation (only just but they still won't let me). I am currently munching lots of green leafy veg like a good girl to try and boost my iron levels so i can actually donate next time!!!

It causes much mickey taking at work when i get rejected and i come back from the donor van covered in pin pricks and sticking plaster but still not having given blood as my job is working in a haematology and blood transfusion department! I can dish the stuff out and test it for other people's blood groups but mine just doesn't cut the mustard!

Hi, Emmie, what is your job in haem/transfusion???? I'm a BMS 2 in a transfusion centre... :help::hihi:

When they can't get enough donors, they haul in the staff.......

Edited by CarolW

I donate regularly I'm also O Rh Neg; when my ID card arrived in the army it had me down as O+ (postive) it was the only time that I refused an order when told to carry it until a replacement arrived.[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you for that!!!!!! :hihi: :hihi: