Are you a blood donor - or not?? Reasons why...

Do you give Blood - if not, why not??  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Blood - if not, why not??

• Yes, I am a Blood Donor
    • Used to give blood - now I don't want to (no particular reason!!)
    • Tried to - Iron levels too low
    • Tried to - Bad Experience!!! (Bruising/Fainting etc)
    • Don't like needles!!
    • Don't like Blood!!
    • "High Risk" Lifestyle
    • Medical History
    • Location of session
    • Timing of session
    • Thought about it but not tried to
    • Not though about it
    • Don't think I can (but not checked!!)
    • Foreign travel
    • Tattoos/Piercings in last 12 months
    • Don't know where to find info
    • Other!!!

Was transfused myself,so have probably got CJD and they wont let me give it back :(

This was one of the points brought up in this lecture..... At the moment, there's no screening test for vCJD as there is for viral infections. There's hope that a test can be implemented within the next 2 to 5 years....

As there is increasing evidence now that vCJD can be passed on by transfusion, anyone who has been transfused is now barred from donating to prevent (as you so excellently put it!!! :hihi:) "giving it back"!!!

I've never donated before because I am an absolute whimp and the thought of it makes me physicaly want to throw up! When I had to have a blood test during pregnancy I got myself in such a state I was shaking and sweating and thought I was going to throw up. However I must admit it was no where near as bad as i was expecting so maybe after Ive had the baby I will go and donate.

No. I ought to be as I don't have a common blood type, but I'm also prone to being anaemic and I'm scared of needles! I even faint having blood tests, plus I have deep veins - I pulled the catheter out of my hand accidentally in Jessop (it was quite cool, actually, there was this fountain of blood all over me, baby and the ward, like in the Kill Bill tea house massacre ;)) and it took them hours to find anyone capable of coaxing out another vein.

You missed one cat out on your poll (everything else is covered, well done!) which is had a baby in the last 12 months.

I am a blood donor but obviously during pregnancy and for 12 months postnatal you can't give blood. So until March 2009 I can't but will give blood when I'm able.

I have in the past given my platelets but my veins are deep and the couldn't get "their money's worth" out of me so they recommended I give whole blood instead.

You missed one cat out on your poll (everything else is covered, well done!) which is had a baby in the last 12 months.

I am a blood donor but obviously during pregnancy and for 12 months postnatal you can't give blood. So until March 2009 I can't but will give blood when I'm able.

I have in the past given my platelets but my veins are deep and the couldn't get "their money's worth" out of me so they recommended I give whole blood instead.

Thanks, Anniec - yes, I totally forgot about that one!!!! Strange, really, because where I work, we also do the antenatal blood group and antibody screen!!!