Are you a blood donor - or not?? Reasons why...

Do you give Blood - if not, why not??  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Blood - if not, why not??

• Yes, I am a Blood Donor
    • Used to give blood - now I don't want to (no particular reason!!)
    • Tried to - Iron levels too low
    • Tried to - Bad Experience!!! (Bruising/Fainting etc)
    • Don't like needles!!
    • Don't like Blood!!
    • "High Risk" Lifestyle
    • Medical History
    • Location of session
    • Timing of session
    • Thought about it but not tried to
    • Not though about it
    • Don't think I can (but not checked!!)
    • Foreign travel
    • Tattoos/Piercings in last 12 months
    • Don't know where to find info
    • Other!!!

I was about to take my 11 plus exam at school when I became ill with Jaundice. All my skin turned yellow and the whites of my eyes were yellow too. I was told that I would never be able to give blood.

As others said it's because it can be hepatitis. I would check however if you do want to donate - they used to rule people out before but they can now allow them to donate as testing has become a lot better in the intervening years. The rules are I think you are automatically precluded if you have had jaundice in the last 12 months - before that it's not necessarily a bar any more.

How about you understand back then I was unable to plan my visit - not everyone leads neat lives and can commit to a specific appointment time. Calling someone self centred when they already were giving blood and then could not is somewhat insulting.

Since then I donate every two weeks - before you get on your high horse about how I should make an effort. When you do that as well come back and discuss whos being self centred.

???? You're not allowed to donate every two weeks surely ?

Well!!!

It's nice to see this topic resurrected after about 5 years...!!! :) :) :thumbsup:

We still don't have a screening test for vCJD - which was the prediction back in 2009....

Has anyone changed their minds about being a blood donor?? Or not being a blood donor??!!!!!

Is any one able to give blood now when they couldn't before - the guidelines are forever changing, so it may be worth calling to find out... I can now give blood/platelets again after sorting my iron levels out and I'm over 200 donations now!!! Woo Hoo!!!!! :clap:

We have introduced an appointment system in our region as well.. .I can see the sense of it when a session is held on business premises - managers don't want to be understaffed at crucial times in the day or to have people away from the desk for too long.

But somewhere like Tesco's car park??!!!! I don't see the advantage then!!!! Maybe you could call the centre and see if they have any time slots available and perhaps aim for those times???

If they get a lot of comments, they may change some sessions to drop-in - but they don't know, if you don't tell 'em!!!!!

I persuaded the last place I worked at to set up a visit from a blood van. They don't ahve it any more - they have sufficient demand to set a centre up in the conference room. Half beds are appt only, the rest are walk in - it seems to work well as they keep doing it.

Appts for a primarily walk past place was very odd though - I never could fathom that but thats what the public wanted apparantly. They filled the beds all the time though, so it didn't matter as they still got as much as they could.

Me I'm back on platelets again, triple dosing each time. I've been told to eat more greens though and I chuffing hate spinach :(

You can do if you donate platelets only!!! But these HAVE to be by appointment... (At least here they do!!!!!)

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 12:19 ----------

I persuaded the last place I worked at to set up a visit from a blood van. They don't ahve it any more - they have sufficient demand to set a centre up in the conference room. Half beds are appt only, the rest are walk in - it seems to work well as they keep doing it.

Appts for a primarily walk past place was very odd though - I never could fathom that but thats what the public wanted apparantly. They filled the beds all the time though, so it didn't matter as they still got as much as they could.

Me I'm back on platelets again, triple dosing each time. I've been told to eat more greens though and I chuffing hate spinach :(

Yes, I'm triple dose as well - I don't think I could cope with every 2 weeks - every 4 weeks is enough for me!!!!!

Platelet donations known as aphereisis. They take the blood out, centrifuge it in what looks like a small spin dryer and then pump most of it back in again. Because the blood goes back in you can donate every two weeks.

Takes about an hour, and the end product is about 150ml of platets used for people with clotting problems and leaukemia and whatever - they only have a shelf life of five days unlike whole blood at 35 days..? (carol help is it 35?).

I've been dragged in on Christmas Day before now when they really needed some - got a police car ride to the hospital and everything as I'd just started on the sherry!

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 12:22 ----------

You can do if you donate platelets only!!! But these HAVE to be by appointment... (At least here they do!!!!!)

I donate mine at one of the main teaching hospitals - it's a walk in for platelets during the week or appt on Sat am.

I've been known to post to SF with a cannula in each arm before now :) Although my veins are scarred too much now and they prefer my feet.

Platelet donations known as aphereisis. They take the blood out, centrifuge it in what looks like a small spin dryer and then pump most of it back in again. Because the blood goes back in you can donate every two weeks.

Takes about an hour, and the end product is about 150ml of platets used for people with clotting problems and leaukemia and whatever - they only have a shelf life of five days unlike whole blood at 35 days..? (carol help is it 35?).

I've been dragged in on Christmas Day before now when they really needed some - got a police car ride to the hospital and everything as I'd just started on the sherry!

Yes!!! Platelets expire at 5 days - though it can be extended to 7 at crucial times like bank holidays...... Red cells have a 35 day expiry, frozen plasma can be kept for a year....!!

I bet that was one happy patient at xmas with all that sherry!!!!!!! :hihi:

I started a couple of years ago and have done 13 donations.

:thumbsup:

Just think of it as karma being banked for the future.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 12:26 ----------

Yes!!! Platelets expire at 5 days - though it can be extended to 7 at crucial times like bank holidays...... Red cells have a 35 day expiry, frozen plasma can be kept for a year....!!

I bet that was one happy patient at xmas with all that sherry!!!!!!! :hihi:

Not really. They made me sit there till I blew under the limit on a breathalyser lol. Took about an hour it was surreal they had someone else come in by air ambulance to donate as well.

We never found out who needed them of course but we are both the same typing for platlets so the suspicion was there was someone close by having a bit of crisis and waiting for the donation rather urgently.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 12:22 ----------

I donate mine at one of the main teaching hospitals - it's a walk in for platelets during the week or appt on Sat am.

I've been known to post to SF with a cannula in each arm before now :) Although my veins are scarred too much now and they prefer my feet.

We only have the platelet donation at the centre and it has to be by appointment.... Easy enough for me to get there!!! Others have to be willing to get here under their own steam, though they have been known to provide taxis in an emergency!!!!

Your comment

"Just a little self centred, don't you think? "

Was directed at someone who had exactly the same issue as me. It therefore applied to me just as much.

How often are you donating? Every 2 weeks? If not what are you doing about it - I'm sure you could find the time.

Fine, you're self-centred.