Are you a blood donor - or not?? Reasons why...

Do you give Blood - if not, why not??  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Blood - if not, why not??

• Yes, I am a Blood Donor
    • Used to give blood - now I don't want to (no particular reason!!)
    • Tried to - Iron levels too low
    • Tried to - Bad Experience!!! (Bruising/Fainting etc)
    • Don't like needles!!
    • Don't like Blood!!
    • "High Risk" Lifestyle
    • Medical History
    • Location of session
    • Timing of session
    • Thought about it but not tried to
    • Not though about it
    • Don't think I can (but not checked!!)
    • Foreign travel
    • Tattoos/Piercings in last 12 months
    • Don't know where to find info
    • Other!!!

The guidelines refer to transfusion after 1980, not before.. Have a look at http://www.blood.co.uk - the who can donate bit.... Or is there some doubt about the date??? Could you ring the centre to confirm?? :)

Although i had the tranfusion in 1974, and i have not had one since, the operation i had caused me more problems for which i am still being treated to this day. The problems, caused by "an error of judgement" still give them cause for concern about accepting my blood

Could it be "Wagtail"???? or something like that???!!!

A fair chance of "Wagstaff", maybe?

That's strange, I don't think they have that policy in this region.

I think this might be what I'm complaining about. When "policy" is introduced, it seems to be applied across the board, regardless of relevance.

So, I'm a slow bleeder ;), our chum Jason (see post #36) is faster. I'd like a bandage and a leisurely cuppa, others prefer a plaster, some pop and a quick exit.

But, it seems, that no matter what you say, or what your experience is, "policy" prevails. There is obviously a need for standards and procedures, but when you've had the same nurse mop up after you twice in the space of a few months, you've got to think that their application is a bit mad.[1]

[1]The policies, not the nurses!

I have asthma and don't give blood any more because of the inhalers. They don't want your blood if you have taken any in recent months. Strangely they didn't use to mind and I used to give blood regularly. Giving blood didn't worry me at all, it doesn't hurt, and you can just top it up with tea afterwards.

A fair chance of "Wagstaff", maybe?

Wagstaff!!! That's it... I knew it was Wag-something!! He was the director at Sheffield and retired some years ago..

I have asthma and don't give blood any more because of the inhalers. They don't want your blood if you have taken any in recent months. Strangely they didn't use to mind and I used to give blood regularly. Giving blood didn't worry me at all, it doesn't hurt, and you can just top it up with tea afterwards.

When I first tried to give blood, they wouldn't take it because I have asthma. Then they changed the guidelines and I was able to give as long as I wasn't having an attack. I think if you use the brown inhaler, they won't allow you to give blood, but if it's just the blue one then you can!!

I thought we had the technology to produce a synthetic substitute. The sooner one is available to all, the better.

Yes, some artificial substitutes have been developed, but they don't do the job as well as the real thing. Also I think there was some concern about what they were made out of and how they would affect the body.

Are you trying to put me out of a job??!!!! :hihi::help::hihi:

Yes, some artificial substitutes have been developed, but they don't do the job as well as the real thing. Also I think there was some concern about what they were made out of and how they would affect the body.

Are you trying to put me out of a job??!!!! :hihi::help::hihi:

I DID think about that actually. You guys do a great job. They'd still need people to take the blood from the cyber donors, wouldn't they?;)

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a lecture about Motivating Blood Donors.

Sheffield Forum being a representative sample of the UK population, I thought I'd try a poll to look at the proportion of donors on the forum and why others don't give blood.......

Do you donate blood?? If not, why not??

I've tried to think of as many reasons as possible - some are based on the current guidelines for blood donation, some are from the lecture and some I've just thought of from the top of my head!!! Everything else is lumped together as "Other"!!!

"High Risk" lifestyle is what the Blood Services consider as high risk - Men having Sex with Men, using intravenous drugs, prostitution...

Being transfused yourself would come under "Medical History" as would any prescribed drugs and illness/conditions which would prevent you donating blood.

Please be honest, this isn't really about the rights and wrongs of the Blood Service exclusions policy - I'm just interested in the proportion of people able to give blood and reasons why others don't!! I work in the labs so don't get to see the public face of the Blood Service so much...

I can't ever give blood now ,as i have recieved a blood transfusion a year or two when i was seriously ill in hospital.

I can't ever give blood now ,as i have recieved a blood transfusion a year or two when i was seriously ill in hospital.

Me too, though I didn't realise that having a blood transfusion prevents you from ever giving blood in the future. However, even if we can't give blood, we blood recipients can raise awareness of how people who give blood can save lives. As I explained in this 2 year old thread, the fact I'm alive to post this today is down to the blood donors of Sheffield.