Are you a blood donor - or not?? Reasons why...

Do you give Blood - if not, why not??  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give Blood - if not, why not??

• Yes, I am a Blood Donor
    • Used to give blood - now I don't want to (no particular reason!!)
    • Tried to - Iron levels too low
    • Tried to - Bad Experience!!! (Bruising/Fainting etc)
    • Don't like needles!!
    • Don't like Blood!!
    • "High Risk" Lifestyle
    • Medical History
    • Location of session
    • Timing of session
    • Thought about it but not tried to
    • Not though about it
    • Don't think I can (but not checked!!)
    • Foreign travel
    • Tattoos/Piercings in last 12 months
    • Don't know where to find info
    • Other!!!

Weeni (and anyone else who's worried) - It will not take you very long to recover and you can go straight back to work, shopping, whatever you fancy that isn't too strenuous, straightaway afterwards!

You don't need to take any documents, but they will ask you to fill out a form when you get there which just has some questions about your health. You will also discuss this with a nurse once you have filled it in. Some people are unable to donate because of certain risk factors, so for safety's sake it is really important both for you AND the person who may receive your blood that you are really honest about your circumstances. And remember if you are unable to donate on one occasion, it may be that after a certain amount of time or change in circumstances, you will be eligible to donate again, so do ask. The nurse will prick your finger to take a drop of blood to test your iron levels and if all is ok, off you go to wait for the next free bed!

They'll make you sit up on the bed after you've donated (which takes about 10-15 minutes), then get off it very gradually, and then you go somewhere else and sit down with a drink (cold drink if it's your first time; if you are a regular donor you may be allowed a hot drink) and a biscuit for about 15 minutes. Then as long as you feel well and not faint or anything you are absolutely free to go and carry on with your day.

Make sure you have PLENTY to eat and drink the day of your donation as this is the main reason some people feel unwell or faint when they donate. Be careful not to have too much caffeine or tobacco after you have donated as this can make you feel poorly, and keep your fluid and sugar levels up all day. If you do feel a bit woozy or poorly, take it easy for the rest of the day (you deserve it - you've just helped save a life!) and remember you can always pop back to the centre to see the nurses, or ring the donor helpline on 08457 711 711.

I have just donated about 2 hours ago and, apart from the usual soreness in my arm, the only thing I feel is a sense of pride that I have helped someone! So anyone thinking about it - do yourselves proud and get down there - it's worth it for a cuppa and a wagon wheel if nothing else!

Yes, in our place, if they can't get the donors, they come after the staff!!! They don't offer us the local anaesthetic either, I once asked and I just got laughed at!!!! :hihi: :hihi:

Ha ha, they always offer me the choice of an anaesthetic :hihi:

Are they nuts?! Stick another needle in me? :o

No, No, No! :nono:

Weeni (and anyone else who's worried)

... apart from the usual soreness in my arm...

A sore arm would be unusual for me. I think I've only had soreness once or twice. More fool me for saying 'Yes' when they asked if I'd be a guinea-pig for the trainees :hihi: Seriously, the most pain usually happens a day or two later, when you come to take the plaster off. (My hint - have a bath and take it off after a soak).

...Does that mean I will feel fine after that, and be able to drink the next day?...

You will feel righteous!

I think by the next day (24 hours later), you'll have made it all back up again. CarolW should be along in a bit with some proper info.