Bluecoat school

shanes teeth

• 3 months later...

Sorry for delay,but have only today registered with the Forum.

The only thing I can tell you about "Bluecoat School" is my father,Wilfred Poole went there.I would think he was there in the early 1920's, and he captained the cricket and chess teams

Hi Shane,

Have done a little digging round and found a small booklet on Bluecoat school.It contains 10 photos of buildings,pupils in classroom,playroom and the workshop.It also shows dormitory,dining room,and swimming bath.

Sadly information is very sketchy,but can tell you scool was founded in1706,with 10 puplis.In 1825,a larger school was built in East Parade(wherever that is).The school was transfered to Psalter Lane in1911, and was opened bythe Countess Fitzwilliam.It had accomodation for 100 boys.Fatherless and orphans qualified for admission.

I'm guessing the date to be be early 1920's, but at that time a Mr.H.W.Chesham was the governor, and his wife the matron.

I'm sorry this is the only information I can find.

• 9 years later...

My father went to Sheffield Blue Coat school at the age of 8 in the late 1920s. He always spoke fondly of the school and credited it with giving him the sound education that enabled him to rise up through the ranks of industry to a senior level. A button from his blue coat was kept in his stud box for as long as I can remember. Sadly I have no idea what my mother did with it after his death.

He spoke often of the headmaster, Mr Chesham and his wife, Matron, and I believe he was close friends with their son, Guy (who I seem to remember was killed in the war - possibly he was a sub-mariner, but I could have got that wrong). Mr Chesham had a red setter called Terry and Matron had a Cairn Terrier called Mac. When my parents married, they got a Cairn terrier who he called Mac! Dad always gave the impression that the dogs were very much part of the school community. He recalled discipline was strict but fair and was firmly of the opinion that the headmaster had a genuine desire to give the boys a sound education in a caring environment.

Through the school, he joined the local Scouts and camped with them all over the UK, giving him the opportunity to travel that would have been denied to boys with his poor background in the 1930s.

• 2 years later...

Hi. I am searching my family history and I am keen to hear about a school in the Springvale area. i am looking for a school or children's home where the headmaster was called William Ball and his wife ( Lucy Jane Ball) was the matron. This was in the 1911 census. There were 15 boys living at the place and 5 staff members. It was called Blue Coats Charity Boys school. The assistant head was a William Victor Furniss. Any one with family history of this school may be able to help with my search.

thank you 

Jed