Bluecoat school

shanes teeth

I know a few things cus my ancestors lived opposite in the ancient salt box cottages .   Which were demolished in the mid 1960s ie the Wardley and the Ellis family  Issac Ellis  a Stone mason worked at the Brinciffe quarry opp on Psalter Lane  when the stone ran out It was filled in and the Blue Coat school was built.   

My GG Grandparents were Joseph Wardly a knife grinder  and Ann Ellis Wardley   their son Issac Wardley and later  his Son were both Stonemasons     the latter was what was called a half timer at age 10 he went  to school in the morning and worked at the quarry in the Afternoon      I was 2  when my grandad Isaac  died in 1939   He and his wife Emma had six sons  All very well known in Sheffield   Ike   Albert  Len Bill  Wilf my Dad and Joe    ex pat in City of Kawartha Lakes

• 3 years later...

Hello

just making first contact

my grandad Fred Swift was an orphan and was placed in Blue Coats School in 1921 aged 8 there he stayed until he went into the army as a boy soldier fighting mainly in the European theatre.

I know it’s a big ask but would there be any photos of the classes?

thanks

Mike

On 19/08/2020 at 08:16, Ann Wardley said:

I know a few things cus my ancestors lived opposite in the ancient salt box cottages .   Which were demolished in the mid 1960s ie the Wardley and the Ellis family  Issac Ellis  a Stone mason worked at the Brinciffe quarry opp on Psalter Lane  when the stone ran out It was filled in and the Blue Coat school was built.   

My GG Grandparents were Joseph Wardly a knife grinder  and Ann Ellis Wardley   their son Issac Wardley and later  his Son were both Stonemasons     the latter was what was called a half timer at age 10 he went  to school in the morning and worked at the quarry in the Afternoon      I was 2  when my grandad Isaac  died in 1939   He and his wife Emma had six sons  All very well known in Sheffield   Ike   Albert  Len Bill  Wilf my Dad and Joe    ex pat in City of Kawartha Lakes

Hi Anne

Just a quick question, are you related to Bill who was a policeman.

On 19/08/2020 at 08:16, Ann Wardley said:

Me and a mate was talking about schools we went to and though he didn't mention blue coat he did say he was sent to a school on Psalter Lane for being unruly.

He mentioned that he was taken all over on holidays with the school.

This was the 90s so not sure if the blue coats were abolished by then or even if it as the same school.