Anyone from the Kelvin 1951 to Demolition

I was one of the last tennants on Kelvin!! There were 3 of us left on the top floor (Edith Walk), me and my daughter and another bloke. I lived there for 8 years and was involved with the clearance programme.

I loved the place and cried when I left. I kept my flat key and sneaked back before they fenced it all off. I went in my flat and the workmen had tipped all my furniture over and made a real mess. I tidied the flat up and sat there for ages. How sad is that eh?!!

I have loads of photos which I did start uploading onto a website. Unfortunatley, life has got in the way so it's got pushed to one side lately. Anyway click HERE if you want to see what I started and will aim to finish one day!!!

Do you remember the Umevere's? They lived on Edith Walk til the end.

• 3 years later...

I lived at 104 Woollen Lane it was opposite the old Philidephia club from when I was born December 1956 to 1963 - cup final day I believe.We were moved to Foxhill like a lot of people from Kelvin and I can remember having to come out our front and only exit door down the street and up the yard to go to our toilet that we shared with next door, we also had a tin bath that hung on a hook in the celler the house we moved into had a inside toilet - how posh we thought at the time and a seperate bathroom sheer bliss

I never lived on Kelvin but worked in the Kelvin day centre for a while and Upperthorpe N/F school. Loved looking at the photo's-certainly brought back memories.

Had friends who lived on the Kelvin in the 80's. Have shown my children the photo's as we live close by and they just cant visualise it being there-the area it covered was so large and was such an imposing building.

Some of the photos as you faced Kelvin from Langsett Rd show masionette type housing to the right hand side on the hill (top side of Wraggies) were these what is now Fox Rd/top side of Burgoyne Rd. Was this the housing before the current estate? was built? Have lived at crookes/walkley since 79 and dont recall this style of housing there only at the Oxford St side-can someone confirm?

Thankyou

mumsy