Before the Egg box...

Harry1000

I know this is going back a LONG way, but does anyone remember what was on the site of the old Townhall extension, commonly known as the Egg box, before it was built? I know that there is a hotel there now but what was in that space before the Egg box?

I know St. Paul's stood on the peace gardens site, but why were those buildings demolished? I'm sure Sheffield has some plan to destroy all its heritage. :(

If you mean the buildings in that photograph, - they were demolished because the council wanted an extension to the town hall, physically linked to the town hall....and you can't argue with a compulsory purchase order.

I often wonder if the Egg Box was actually paid for before it was demolished ;)

Cheers, good pictures! What was that building with the clock tower?

Hello,

I think the building with the clock tower - corner of Norfolk street and Howard Street - was Walker and Hall's office buiding. Their works took up most of that block and extended down Howard Street to Howard Lane?.

On the other corner of Howards Street was a "Thorton's Chocolate Kabin". I can't remember what the shop next door was called but next two that (half -in and half-out of the photograph) was the double-fronted shop of Walker and Carson, the printers and stationers. Their large printing works was in behind the shop.

I can't remember too much about the shops going the other way either (to the left of the building with the clock tower, going towards Surrey Street) but one was a chemists shop.

Regards

The first dark coloured building after the light coloured ones beyond the clock tower building, is what used to be Hibberts Art Shop and Gallery and is now the Wicker Herbalists.

Norfolk Street used to be really long, I think it went right down to the bottom of the Moor before all the demolitions and new road building in the 60s. They used to say "A face as long as Norfolk Street" when you were looking a bit down. Do you remember that, Greybeard?

Norfolk street ran from Charles street, on which was the main entrance to the Empire, down to Fitzalan square. The short stretch from Charles street to Moorhead was Union Street. Empire stage door and the Union Picture House/Palace ? Then there was a narrow lane called Porter street which joined up with Bramall lane.

I do remember...but just checked the map to be sure ;)

Norfolk street ran from Charles street, on which was the main entrance to the Empire, down to Fitzalan square. The short stretch from Charles street to Moorhead was Union Street. Empire stage door and the Union Picture House/Palace ?
I must have been thinking of the one that's the dual carriageway now, sorry. I don't remember those two places you mention, although I have heard of them. Were they where the two car parks were opposite what's now the Ha-Ha Bar? I only can really remember the City Centre from about 1960 which when was I was allowed to go into Town by myself. I'm not sure if they were still there then?

I'm not sure if they were still there then?

Neither am I :) I was away from Sheffield from 1958 to 1975 and missed all the redevelopment. The dual carriageway was made generally along the line of Eyre street and a bit of Arundel street, although Arundel street used to join Norfolk street opposite the rear of M&S.

Lots of little streets I knew between Norfolk street and Flat street/Pond street have disappeared. Charles street is still there but Moorhead has become Furnival Gate.

Archived