Before the Egg box...

Harry1000

Something like Lanchester's, although I think Lanchester's were actually sold by Batty's on that funny little curved street that used to go from where Bramhall Lane, Eyre Street and Hereford Street all used to meet, out to The Moor.

All a long time ago.

Regards

That 'little curved street' was Ellin street and surprisingly it has survived all the redevelopment. There was still a garage/car dealer on there in the late 70s opposite the building used by South Yorks. Archives.

All the buildings have now gone in even later development but you can still see Ellin street on Google Maps.

I remember at the top of Ellin street there was a side entrance to the chapel with a little bridge over the Porter Brook.

The little cobbled back streets behind Norfolk street were a bedlam in my youth. Lots of small factories/workshops with hammers, presses, grinders etc. all beavering away. We used to sneak into some of them to watch the men at work ...fascinating stuff for a ten-year--old :)

I think Ellin St.was the place of the first mass x-ray screening programmes that were started in the city.In fact I think I went into the old building to have mine taken.50 to 60 yrs.ago.OOPs just fallen over my beard.:hihi:

Hi,

I went there was from school about 1950-51. You had to be at least 14 to have the test.

Do you remember the x-ray service at Ellin Street also had a mobile version in a fleet of trucks? They used to go around to different businesses, works and offices on a 4-5 year cycle. It was scrapped when the equipment eventually wore out and the authorities said they couldn't afford to replace it.

Sound familiar ?

You'll will remember the mobile x-rays were on film but if this showed up a potential problem, then you had to go to Ellin Street where more x-rays were taken but this time it was with full size photgraphic plates attached to the front of the machine. To get the best possible results, you were stripped to waist and then pressed up agains the cold metal casings that held the photo plates. I'll swear those film cases had been kept in the fridge overnight. God! -they were cold.

All that to be told there is nothing wrong with you although the programme had a very good sucess rate in identifying people who had chest/lung conditions they didn't know about. Therefore treatment could be initiated before the conditions became hopeless. Such things as TB.

Regards

Hi Greybeard

I found this picture of the other corner of Walker and Hall's buildings (corner of Howard Street and Eyre Street). This also had a clock tower - similar to the one on the corner of Norfolk Street and Howard Street - but not quite as impressive.

Regards

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s09736

I know this is going back a LONG way, but does anyone remember what was on the site of the old Townhall extension, commonly known as the Egg box, before it was built? I know that there is a hotel there now but what was in that space before the Egg box?

If my memory serves me rightly befor the egg box, was built, its was,the top of Norfolk street & the begining of Union street, & there were lots of little mesters,cutlery works,leading of where the egg box was built,have you herd of the Sheffield,buffer girls, I know the pease garden as allways been there:thumbsup:

The area of the Peace Gardens was taken up by St. Pauls church and graveyard from (I think) the mid 1700s to its demolition in the 1930s. I wonder if they managed to remove all the bodies or are there still some under the Peace Gardens? Was the crypt totally filled in or is it still there, buried for ever more....?

The area of the Peace Gardens was taken up by St. Pauls church and graveyard from (I think) the mid 1700s to its demolition in the 1930s. I wonder if they managed to remove all the bodies or are there still some under the Peace Gardens? Was the crypt totally filled in or is it still there, buried for ever more....?

If there was ever a crypt, then the current water features and new square would probably be below that level now anyway.

In old photos this looked like quite a large church. I suspect that since the begginning of the 20th century and the clearing of the town centre slums as the outer suburbs were laid out, then there was far less call for so many large churches in the town centre. Indeed there were many more churches in the town centre 100 years ago but at the same time the city had a far smaller total area. Large parts of today's S8 were still in Derbyshire.

Archived