Open cast mine where Rother Valley is now

TrickyTrace

Could it've been Brookhouse Colliery?

it was definitely brookhouse colliery,also on this site were the brookhouse coke ovens,i used to work at the coke ovens.my mate and myself were greasers, we were employed to keep the coke ovens and all its machinery in working order.

I think the pub would be the Princess Royal Texas

and the lumberyard was always catching fire, spontanious combustion they said. You would have thought the 2 things combined would have sorted the fires out.

Rother Valley Park does not reach as far as Woodhouse Mill but is quite near.

The entrances that I know are at Southall (Beighton) Killamash, and one near the Angel Pub on Rotherham Road probably still in KiIlamarsh.

Hazel

PS Trains still go on the Woodhouse Mill line

There used to be a pub on Rotherham Road in Beighton called the Railway Inn..that used to get flooded very often..in fact so often that a chap who used to live near it,Bill Ryder,was nicknamed "Steamboat Bill"...

Someone told me, a few months ago, that a consortium are negotiating the rights to build a hotel somewhere to the West of the country park. Any truth in this? Why, just once, can't these people leave places alone? I had some relatives who were brought up around Beighton and I can remember them telling me tales of the old days and how nice it was. I think when it came under Sheffield Council's jurisdiction, goodbye Beighton.

I realise that the OP's daughter is now probably half way through a degree course, but just in case anyone else is researching the park, I thought that there used to be a display at the park, showing the history of its creation. It's years since I've been there. Have I remembered correctly? Is the display still there?

Can anyone please tell my daughter doing a school project what the mine was called and any other information about it that used to be, where Rother Valley is now. It was somekind of coal mine but thats about all she knows!!

She's only got 3 weeks left so any info sooner the better Cheers!

Treeton :)

I realise that the OP's daughter is now probably half way through a degree course, but just in case anyone else is researching the park, I thought that there used to be a display at the park, showing the history of its creation. It's years since I've been there. Have I remembered correctly? Is the display still there?

There used to be a film showing in one of the buildings how the park was created,from the first earthmovers stripping the top-soil,removing overburden,taking the coal out and then the restoration and landscaping,dunno if it is still there tho'........

------------------------------------------------------------------------------Texas

-

Someone told me, a few months ago, that a consortium are negotiating the rights to build a hotel somewhere to the West of the country park. Any truth in this?

The plans for a hotel go back nearly 30 years and it was to be built just off where the entrance to the opencast site was just off Chesterfield rd....i was even shown this in the Licensed Victuallers magazine by a pub landlord many years ago,it must have got shelved along with everything else when the councils were arguing amongst themselves,and plans to build may have re-surfaced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rob (DINGO

Treeton :) ...... :nono: ......Brookhouse....:)

Someone told me, a few months ago, that a consortium are negotiating the rights to build a hotel somewhere to the West of the country park. Any truth in this? Why, just once, can't these people leave places alone? I had some relatives who were brought up around Beighton and I can remember them telling me tales of the old days and how nice it was. I think when it came under Sheffield Council's jurisdiction, goodbye Beighton.

Planning permission applied for here

http://www.yes-ltd.com/press-planningapp.php

Still alive here

http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2010/05/news-1204-updated-yes-project-plans.html

The opencasting was done prior to, and to assist, the development of Rother Valley Country Park. The mines (not opencast) were Brookhouse Colliery, which was near the Beighton entrance to Rother Valley, and Norwood Colliery which was close to the main entrance of Rother Valley, near the Angel Pub.

• 1 year later...

I was born in Killamarsh in`46 and I don`t remember no coal mine `cos it was all swamp and bullrushes, and no matter how big your wellies were the water went over the top. Me thinks it must have been opencast during the contstruction of Rother Valley park during the 80`s.

The opencasting was done prior to, and to assist, the development of Rother Valley Country Park. The mines (not opencast) were Brookhouse Colliery, which was near the Beighton entrance to Rother Valley, and Norwood Colliery which was close to the main entrance of Rother Valley, near the Angel Pub.
You don't appear to have read the full thread - a comprehensive rundown of pit names, mining types and their owners was given on the first page

In case anybody's interested, here's a map

Archived