Energy Performance Certificate

I would just like to give people the heads up on the new energy performance certificates required for landlords.

I had a quote from Blundells of £100 +vat. But i have had another quote from a company called Vibrant Energy of £65 +vat so it makes quite a difference if you have multiple lets.

Just watch out for letting agents trying to rip you off!

From today (1st October) an EPC must be available for any prospective NEW tenant to see before they accept a NEW tenancy . This applies to private rented, Council Housing and Housing Associations . An EPC shows a prospective tenant what are the likely costs of heating, providing hot water ,and lighting any dwelling, so they have more information and can compare costs before accepting any tenancy. It also shows a landlord what could be done to improve energy efficiency, but there is no requirement to meet any standard.

An EPC for rented property lasts 10 years . EPCs are also now required for all houses which are marketed for sale . In this case they are valid for 3 years.

As 25% of all UK CO2 emissions are from housing,and much of the older stock is thermally poor, this is where the easiest reductions in emissions can be made.

Nigel Wilson Housing Services Ltd

07970 426280.

An EPC is not required for any of these circumstances:

1. An existing tenancy.

2. Where an existing contract is renewed or extended.

3. If a tenant has to share some facilities such as a bathroom or Kitchen AND each tenant has a separate contract with the landlord for one room.

Nigel Wilson Housing Services Ltd

07970 426280

I am a Domestic Energy Assessor that has been supplying EPC's to one of the larger independent estate agents in Sheffield and will provide an Energy Performance Certificate for £55 (fully inclusive) in the Sheffield area so if I can assist anyone please do not hesitate to contact me.

• 1 month later...

The best advice I've had is to shop around, not just for the best price but the most reliable service too. There are lots of companies and individuals trying their hand at energy certification, not all of them offer a good service.

Also you should choose a company which specifies in the type of premesis you wish to have certified, whether it be a residential, commercial or public building.

DomCom Energy Services are a leading local provider for comercial and public EPC and DEC

Swell Dweller Sheffield on the other hand offer a competitive price and service on residential certificates

You can compare these with the quotes you are already getting.

I am a Domestic Energy Assessor that has been supplying EPC's to one of the larger independent estate agents in Sheffield and will provide an Energy Performance Certificate for £55 (fully inclusive) in the Sheffield area so if I can assist anyone please do not hesitate to contact me.