Was there a penny farthing factory in Sheffield 1890's-1900's?

ccoffey

This is moving off on a tangent, too------but, by some miracle, might help ! In the 50's and '60's [ and maybe much later ; I don't know ], there used to be a shop on Abbeydale Road, roughly at its junction with Wolsely Road. On the wall of the shop was a Penny Farthing bicycle.

Now the ' Sherlock Holmes ' bit ! If anyone knows who owned the shop or bike and the relevant people are still around, maybe it's possible to contact them somehow and check where they got the bike from ? [ I said it was a tangent ! ]. Anyway, good luck with the search. At the very least, one excellent thing that S.F. does, is to throw up little gems from the Highways and By-Ways of our past------in this case, literally .

I think this has already been mentioned on a nearby thread -re Butterworths ?

Butterworths was on Abbeydale Road but further on, opposite Abbeydale Secondary School near Glen Road - and did have a penny farthing above the shop window.

The penny-farthing was the bicycle of the 1890s. I would suggest a visit to the Local Studies library where they have all the local newspapers of the period on microfiche. There are bound to be advertisements by local suppliers/manufacturers in the papers. Have a look in the local directories too, - Kellys and Whites etc., these usually have plenty of local adverts.

Archived