HELP PLEASE! Neepsend, parkwood springs area!

jseau

Hi all

i'm currently doing a project on a site between neepsend and woodside for my uni course! the site is the Parkwood industrial estate on Oakham Dr off Rutland Road. And i'm looking for info/maps/dates on this area.

I already know it is on the site of the former Neepsend Brickworks? and there is possible an SSSI near it? but can anyone else tell me any more info and dates about this brickworks, and anything about the surrounding area?

Cheers

The best place to go is the Local history library on the 1st floor of the Central Library. There old maps and references to the area and you will find the staff very helpful.

It might help you if you take a digital camera with you to copy anything without the flash of course.

Hope this helps you

PopT

http://www.picturesheffield.com/database_search.php

May I draw your attention to this site? Click on the letter and then scroll down to whatever you want, Eg Rutland Road, click on R and scroll down.

It may provide some ideas or clues eg Stones' Brewery, Stanley Tools and I think there was an upholstery firm there at one time. Parkwood Springs doesn't offer much but you can move around the nearby roads etc. for clues perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Following my earlier message:

The Sheffield Brick Company had brick works at the bottom of Rutland Road (left hand side facing up the hill immediately under the railway bridge) in Neepsend, next to the old Neepsend engine sheds (lines removed and all traces gone since about 1976). This brickworks was still in existence in 1903. It was effectively a by product of the South Yorks coal industry.

[There had been an earlier brickworks further to the North west up the river valley at Old Park Woods Brick Works. This no longer existed in 1903, and I do not think it is the one you are researching]

Best of luck

Archived